Hello from Auburntown, TN

Default Hello from Auburntown, TN

Hello!

I'm preparing to start beekeeping in March of 2021. This year is all about educating myself, building a network and support, and equipping so that I am well prepared to protect and care for my bees.

My husband is building a Slovenian Bee house for me and I will be using Slovenian AZ hives. I plan to start with two and slowly build to 8.

My first (of I hope, many) bee class is set for February 13th. Monday, I go to my first Bee Association meeting.

I am so glad I found this resource! I have so many questions!

I'm looking forward to meeting you all.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Hello from Auburntown, TN

Welcome to the beesource forums,

All the best of luck to you and keep the folks here posted on your progress.

Also since beekeeping is localized you might want to post your location in your profile. You will get much better responses to your questions.

Again glad to have new people here.

Happy Home

Thank you, Happy Home,

Going to post location, now.
    Photini Grace, Beekeeper Newbee.
    Just sayin' --- er --- warning, actually.

Welcome.
    Proverbs 16:24

Welcome to Beesource neighbor! Have you gotten hooked up with the Columbia Area Beekeepers yet?

Quote Originally Posted by photini.grace View Post
    I'm preparing to start beekeeping in March of 2021. This year is all about educating myself, building a network and support, and equipping so that I am well prepared to protect and care for my bees.
    Photini Grace:

Welcome to Beesource! From my very humble vantage point, I think your approach is very sound. Being well-educated about the fundamentals of beekeeping before jumping in will help you 'hit the ground running'.

We will look forward to your contributions on here, and best of success with your preparatory efforts this year.

Russ
    Ecclesiastes 11:4

Thank you, Cloverdale.

Live Oak, I visited the Rutherford County Beekeepers Association (Murfreesboro) this past Monday. I plan to visit the McMinnville (Highland Rim Beekeepers) Association this coming Friday, and I am taking their class on Saturday. Columbia is about an hour and a half from where I live (Murfreesboro and McMinnville are about 45 minutes) so I don't know that I will get out that way very often. I have some friends in Columbia - so it wouldn't hurt to visit a meeting now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by Litsinger View Post
    and best of success with your preparatory efforts this year.
    Litsinger, you know it's been a long day, when you read 'predatory' instead of 'preparatory' in your wishes for my beekeeping efforts this year.

LOL!

I was planning to buy my first hive and bees March of 2019, but when I started reading about all the challenges bees have and their beekeepers have in trying to keep them alive, I got really nervous about beekeeping and almost decided not to try. Then we had a pretty significant security issue, and all the money I planned to use for my start up went toward securing our household.

Now that things are settled down, I revisited and decided that if I'm going to keep bees, I'm going to do everything I can to make sure I don't make them into newbee sacrifices for rush in mistakes. I have time to really LOOK challenges and learn how to meet them, and prepare myself to meet them. My confidence level is much higher now than it was just two months ago.

I'm looking forward to this year. There's a lot to do, just in building the bee house and equipping.

Quote Originally Posted by photini.grace View Post
    Litsinger, you know it's been a long day, when you read 'predatory' instead of 'preparatory' in your wishes for my beekeeping efforts this year.

I'm looking forward to this year. There's a lot to do, just in building the bee house and equipping.
    This is too funny- there are plenty of predatory beekeeping practices out there too...

The good news is- Spring of 2021 will be here before you know it... the bad news is- you'll only be busier once you have actually housed them!
    Ecclesiastes 11:4

Welcome and good luck with your new endeavors
    Rod

rwlaw: Thank you, Rod!

Welcome and best wishes for you and your bees!
    “My child, eat honey, for it is good, and the drippings of the honeycomb are sweet to your taste.” (Proverbs 24:13)