Wintertime bee removal - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thanks. No, I haven’t seen any drones. Or I should say I wasn’t really looking for them. During the cut out procedure I was focused more on just getting them vacuumed up, didn’t notice any though. With our typical February weather around here (cold and wet), I figured trying to get a mated queen would be fruitless.
    Last edited by Nelsonhoneyfarms; 02-09-2020 at 04:26 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Wintertime bee removal

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonhoneyfarms View Post
    I’m about to go tear out the queen cells and newspaper combine them with another queen right hive this evening.
    Nooooooo Why risk another colony? And what JWPalmer said Surely, drones will be your way sooner than later..Did you go back the next evening and collect a straggling cluster? Fill the cavity, or highly suggest they do if your not doing the repairs, or it may be a recurring situation.
    Please excuse me, I am now free to go manage & treat ;)
    my ladies the best way I know how.

Well, y’all are probably right. I just haven’t seen the drones. Maybe they will be more active a week from now. I don’t really have a weak hive to combine with so I may just treat this as an experiment and see if I can get a viable mated queen in February.

Yes, I went back to look. Didn’t see a telltale pile of bees anywhere. Also, I went over the need to make repairs and seal everything again and again to the landowner. They are doing the repairs.

Thanks,
    Ryan

Ryan, you might be suprised about the drones. I am colder than you are and I have new drones walking about my hives and lots of drone cells, capped and developing larvae. If it stays above 60 during the day after your virgin queen emerges, I bet she gets mated.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

It’s worth a shot - thanks. The weather is not looking so good right now, but that can change. I’m hoping that the drones around here are mature enough to mate by the time she flies. Time will tell. I’ll keep ya’ll updated.

Also, I would like to thank you all for your help. Early queen mating is not something I’ve dealt with so I’m definitely swimming in uncharted territory here.

Again, didn’t find the queen, but we are experimenting with early queen mating...excited to see if it works. If I come out of the deal with a drone later, I’ll just pinch her and insert a good frame of eggs in a few weeks.

Here’s a video of the adventure!

Ryan
    https://youtu.be/Vs6B3jqq8tQ

As far as drone maturity, the general rule of thumb is that if you have drone larvae in the purple-eyed stage, then you can start your queen grafts or walk away splits. By the time a queen emerges and is ready to mate, the drones will be of the correct age. Weather, you can't do much about but keep your fingers crossed.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12