Why does everyone think used equipment is ALL bad? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forget about other people. You know this person personally right? They are Honest? You Trust them? OK fine, if they say they never had AFB ... Good.
    In accepting anyone else's equipment I ALWAYS Torch the inside VERY THOROUGHLY. Then the outside lightly. Just To Make Sure.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I am a cheapskate. I love the idea of free equipment. And I don't use any used equipment unless I know the beekeeper and their bees. Its just not worth it. Yes, there is plenty of great equipment out there that is just fine. Still not worth it. I buy unassembled boxes for less than $10. They last many years. Packages are about $150 now and for some people don't even last one year. I believe it was Ian who said "buy boxes, build bees." this is good advice. NY last year had More cases of afb over the previous year. My $.02

Default Re: Why does everyone think used equipment is ALL bad?

Why can he not freeze frames?

Go for it give it a try.
    GG

Freezing does not kill AFB spores. With Terrimycin now requiring a Vet prescription, expect it to be on the rise.

Crazy Roland

Quote Originally Posted by MtwWallace View Post
    Forget about other people. You know this person personally right? They are Honest? You Trust them? OK fine, if they say they never had AFB ... Good.
    In accepting anyone else's equipment I ALWAYS Torch the inside VERY THOROUGHLY. Then the outside lightly. Just To Make Sure.
    Yes, he’s a friend and very trustworthy. I inspected things and did not see any AFB.

Beekeeper for over 57 years. If you have new equipment it becomes "old" the minute you have bees in it. Why? Because drones from other maybe diseased hives visit your equipment. Nothing can be done about it, so equipment so exposed is everywhere. Nosema laden equipment left in sun will have the spores explode because of its ultra violet rays. You'll have to expose it so that the rays hit the appropriate areas. It works, have been using this ever since a young Boston Phd. researcher gave a talk touting it to our bee club. Do a little research, and see for yourselves. OMTCW (only my two cents worth)

(never mind. question was answered later in the thread.)
    Last edited by SunWorks; 02-07-2020 at 03:21 PM. Reason: question answered lower down the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar Hill View Post
    Beekeeper for over 57 years. If you have new equipment it becomes "old" the minute you have bees in it. Why? Because drones from other maybe diseased hives visit your equipment. Nothing can be done about it, so equipment so exposed is everywhere.
    Nothing can be done ? Rubbish.

We have Bee Inspectors who carry the full weight of the law - if an outbreak of Foul Brood is reported, then these inspectors immediately create a zone around the subject apiary and duly begin making compulsory inspections of all registered apiaries within that zone. The subject apiary itself is placed in 'lock-down', confirmed diseased hives are burnt, and nothing allowed to enter or leave until clearance is granted. In this way Foul Brood diseases have been successfully contained in the past. Whether this will continue in the future is uncertain, due to a new breed of beekeepers having emerged who appear either ignorant of, or indifferent towards such diseases.
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

LJ, I think you misunderstood Cedar Hill's intent. I took it to mean that as soon as you put a new box in your apiary, it has the potential to become infected by means of visiting drones, so purchasing used equipment is not that much more of a gamble.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Cracks me up....people buy nucs all the time that come with old frames the beekeeper is culling out, but refuse to buy used equipment for fears.....use your best judgement...there is no hard and fast rule.
    If it was in decent shape, I wouldn't hesitate.
    Help is here to never misplace that hive tool again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvwlSiOzgOU

Around these parts the apiary that sells the comb that comes in the nuc must be inspected (chiefly for afb) by the state inspector.
    And getting used equipment that has bees in it that can be inspected for disease is different than getting used equipment that has not been used for many years and no one remembers or noticed why the bees died.... Of course there may be a drone with afb that comes into my hive but I'd hate to be the guy who brings and drones to my hard or my neighbor's because I was too cheap to be prudent.
    And... As has been said already, some used equipment is good to go. So good judgement is needed. It's an expensive hobby and gets a lot more expensive when you have to start burning things....

Sorry typo "afb drones"

Quote Originally Posted by KevinWI View Post
    Cracks me up....people buy nucs all the time that come with old frames the beekeeper is culling out, but refuse to buy used equipment for fears.....use your best judgement...there is no hard and fast rule.
    After test results - EFB not AFB . Had spread to other colonies anyway so quit burning. Have a bunch of equipment closed up and stored. No recurrence. Supposed to be safe after 2 years. Any takers?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Frank

I agree with Amibusiness.
    Around here sellers of bees are also subject to annual inspections. A seller of bees should have the experience to recognize whether or not his bees are carrying a disease. So, the risk from a nuc from an honest seller would carry minimal risk. OTOH, I have talked to many Newbies that, when asked, honestly believe their colony was killed by wax moths. Buyer beware. Everyone around here, with even one hive, is supposed to be inspected, but the compliance rate is far below 100%. I know this because when asked what the inspector told them was wrong with their bees they reply, "Inspector"?

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinWI View Post
    My apiary had an outbreak of AFB from a nuc, an old infected comb. Devastating. Theres my reasoning. From a Migratory Commercial who brought his nucs up from the South (Carolina I think) and is inspected. Hence a sustainable apiary. Deb
    Proverbs 16:24

Agreed, Deb. Healthy bees are so prolific. I understand if the beekeeper is worried they may loose all their colonies they may order bees for "insurance." If you come out of winter with any healthy bees I think it's better to expand from your own stock. Buy queens if you want different genetics. That way you grow your hobby and your bees sustainably. Eradication of afb, esp by burning, is an expensive hassle....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12