Acorn frames
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acorn frames

Default Acorn frames

Recently tested some acorn frames and foundations and liked them alot. Contacted nick and put in a order they other day and he got them to me no problem, was a pleasure to work with as I changed my mind on amount 3 -4 times getting quotes and was Pleasant on the phone. Can?t wait To make splits this spring.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Acorn frames

Quote Originally Posted by Jtcmedic View Post
    Recently tested some acorn frames and foundations and liked them alot.
    I ordered some triple waxed foundation from Pierco. On the day I wanted to order, for some reason the Acorn website wouldn't load and I ended up ordering from Pierco. $1.52/sheet when ordering a box of 100. shipping included. We shall see how they do this spring.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

I have used their foundation and been very pleased with the service and the quality of the product. The plastic feels a bit "softer" than some other brands I have used and the bees have drawn it out perfectly. I cant say enough good things about them. They did lose an order of mine a couple of years ago and when I called back looking for it a few weeks later Nick was on it right away and it came 2 days later with a personal note.

I have dealt with Nick on two separate occasions to buy heavy waxed medium foundation for my supers. He is always pleasant and responds right away, even on weekends. The bees draw the foundation out perfectly and I see no reason to ever purchase from anyone else. I was given 20 or so Acorn deep frames that I will use in a hive this spring. I expect they will be perfectly drawn as well.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Acorn is my favorite for sure. I have 6000 sheets of them. Nick is easy to work with.
    Feeding early patties. https://youtu.be/bUDd3vk7bgY

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    I have dealt with Nick on two separate occasions to buy heavy waxed medium foundation for my supers. He is always pleasant and responds right away, even on weekends. The bees draw the foundation out perfectly and I see no reason to ever purchase from anyone else. I was given 20 or so Acorn deep frames that I will use in a hive this spring. I expect they will be perfectly drawn as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee's Bees LLC View Post
    Acorn is my favorite for sure. I have 6000 sheets of them. Nick is easy to work with.
    I will be using them soon and will be switching out all my others as I expand.

would like to hear what you all think of these acorn vs. pierco

Quote Originally Posted by COAL REAPER View Post
    would like to hear what you all think of these acorn vs. pierco
    In my case, I only have Pierco. I am hoping to do a comparison of the triple waxed Pierco vs standard coated Mann Lake vs wax foundation. I have 300 sheets of the Pierco, about 100 wax and about 300 Mann Lake.
    I'd be surprised if there was a huge difference in acceptance between the Acorn and Pierco....but one never knows.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Started last fall with foundationless frames with 2 bamboo skewers going down thru the top bar of the frame, then resting in the bottom groove.
    Painted them with old wax around the edge of the frame. Bees draw them out really good, the skewers support the weight of the honey, or brood really well. Cost per frame was right at $1.10, which included cost of frames, shipping, and skewers.

Hi there. How fast will they out the foundattionalless compared to wax foundation and plastic?

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    I ordered some triple waxed foundation from Pierco. On the day I wanted to order, for some reason the Acorn website wouldn't load and I ended up ordering from Pierco. $1.52/sheet when ordering a box of 100. shipping included. We shall see how they do this spring.
    Interesting thread. I wanted to get some Acorn Frames, but balked at the price, $8.00 each :-0, I hadn't thought of another brand, thanks for posting about the Pierco, more affordable for me.
    Last edited by JWPalmer; 01-30-2020 at 02:01 PM.
    Some days it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogback Honey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    Interesting thread. I wanted to get some Acorn Frames, but balked at the price, $8.00 each :-0, I hadn't thought of another brand, thanks for posting about the Pierco, more affordable for me.
    $8e!?!? that has got to when you only order one and it includes shipping, right?
    Last edited by JWPalmer; 01-30-2020 at 02:03 PM.

I've been using Acorn all plastic frames and Acorn foundation. It is the cheapest I have been able to find and the quality seems nice.
    I don't like the all plastic frames though, too many extra places for hive beetles and wax moth larvae to hide. I swear, every one of the frames has a wax moth larva in the each of voids on the side bar. I never see them on my wood frames. I can fit more of them in my extractor though, so theres that.

Nick is a good guy. I have warmed up to the 1 piece frame and foundation. Got my two pallets in 2 weeks ago.

My limited experience, they will draw out foundationless faster and more completely than plastic.
    You will get more drone cells, especially on the first one.

8.00 wow!! It depends how many you buy. My test batch on Amazon was 3.00 apiece shipped.
    I got 10 to test, all filled in about 3 days. Direct order this time around but my order was much larger. And no putting together, I to am warming up to one piece frame

Quote Originally Posted by dd33 View Post
    too many extra places for hive beetles and wax moth larvae to hide. I swear, every one of the frames has a wax moth larva in the each of voids on the side bar.
    At least one side of side bar doesn't have to have holes and then again the other side can have ribs instead of holes or both sides can have zig zag pattern with shifted phase.

Been dealing with Acorn sense the beginning. Great company to work with. I've sold them tons of beeswax too. Most company have been cutting there beeswax to make things cheaper, but Nick has kept it 100% beeswax all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtcmedic View Post
    8.00 wow!! It depends how many you buy. My test batch on Amazon was 3.00 apiece shipped.
    I got 10 to test, all filled in about 3 days. Direct order this time around but my order was much larger. And no putting together, I to am warming up to one piece frame
    I'll have to check Amazon out, in the past when I've checked out the Acorn website, and emailed for prices, I was quoted $8.00 ea. Maybe the price has come down some, I'll check it out again.
    Some days it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.

Acorn has a website? I have always just emailed my order to Nick and he emails me a total.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast