Acorn frames - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 37 of 37

Thread: Acorn frames

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Hartford Ohio
    Posts
    116

    Default Re: Acorn frames

    www.acornbee.com Nick is a great guy and has products that work. No prices (that I have seen on the site, but I usually just call). All I use anymore , even with shipping from Cali to NE Ohio.
    Last edited by JWPalmer; 01-31-2020 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Fix web address

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Aylett, Virginia
    Posts
    4,960

    Default Re: Acorn frames

    Anyone that wants to get in touch with Nick can email him at [email protected]. Delivered prices vary according to location and quantity and all, but I get 100 sheets of heavy waxed medium foundation delivered to my house out in the sticks for around $1.25 per sheet. Freight is the real killer. I may need to have it delivered to my work in town to save a few bucks.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

  4. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Ohio
    Posts
    1,231

    Default Re: Acorn frames

    Ok website with no pricing. I really don't know how he gets is freight price so low. 6 skids from CA to NW Ohio less then $700. The prices you guys are talking are crazy. At the price I get acorn for I don't look anywhere else. Even the other big guys with there sale prices can't beat Acorn prices. Get your orders together (club pricing) buy it by the skid.

  5. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Aylett, Virginia
    Posts
    4,960

    Default Re: Acorn frames

    A club purchase sounds like a great idea. I will bring that up at our next meeting.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

  6. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    136

    Default

    Betterbee had perco and now carries acorn foundation. I live 15 min away and therefore benefit from free s/h. I have also used both. I origionaly got the heavy wax and wasnt impressed with the level of coverage. It appears to be pressure sprayed on. That being said i think my expectations were to high based on the reviews i read. I prefer it to perco based on quality, uniformity. I mini roller wax with a foam pad on the frames prior to putting in the frame. I find better acceptance to get least wax and apply my own wax. The bees RIP right into it as along as the wax hasent sat for too many months. Leftover frames from the py get a fresh brush when I prep foundation.

  7. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Portland, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    33

    Default Re: Acorn frames

    Quote Originally Posted by dd33 View Post
    I've been using Acorn all plastic frames and Acorn foundation. It is the cheapest I have been able to find and the quality seems nice.
    I don't like the all plastic frames though, too many extra places for hive beetles and wax moth larvae to hide. I swear, every one of the frames has a wax moth larva in the each of voids on the side bar. I never see them on my wood frames. I can fit more of them in my extractor though, so theres that.
    I use wood frames, but have had a few one-piece plastic ones that came in nucs. I just dribbled melted beeswax or food grade paraffin into all the nooks and crannies I didn’t care for.

  8. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Trout Run, PA
    Posts
    4

    Default Re: Acorn frames

    Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    I ordered some triple waxed foundation from Pierco. On the day I wanted to order, for some reason the Acorn website wouldn't load and I ended up ordering from Pierco. $1.52/sheet when ordering a box of 100. shipping included. We shall see how they do this spring.
    I'm quoting your text... particularly the part where you say "triple waxed." I have found it ridiculous that varying amounts of wax are applied to frames. Doesn't everyone want heavy wax?? When you buy a frame without wax and do it yourself... It's messy and you must be careful not to melt the plastic, but the amount of wax is very heavy.
    I understand that wax costs money, and I understand that companies can save money by putting less wax on frames, but who wants a waxed frame that has such a minimal amount of wax on it that you can't see it. It's ridiculous, I have seen the double/heavy wax frames and that's what I would expect every frame to look like. Sometimes I don't use my new frames in the same season I purchase, and the light wax will literally disappear during that time waiting for the new box to get put on a hive. This normal/light wax coating is something that I can't believe anyone in the market truely wants. It's ridiculous to call them waxed frames.
    Sorry all for the rant.
    Cheers,
    Josh

  9. #28

    Default Re: Acorn frames

    Quote Originally Posted by josher1001 View Post
    who wants a waxed frame that has such a minimal amount of wax on it that you can't see it
    I’ve made the same argument myself. Why would anyone produce a wax coated piece of foundation that they knew was incompletely coated? Obviously, the answer is money.
    I used to assemble all of my frames and installed wax foundation. That is an ordeal! And, if those frames are put into a hive when there isn’t a serious nectar flow on….the bees will chew all of the wax out.
    I’ve waxed my own before. That is every bit as big an ordeal as wax foundation. The results are good though. If I had less than twenty hives and was splitting each every spring….this might be acceptable.
    This is the first year I’ve ever bought ‘extra’ waxed plastic foundation. I don’t mind paying $1.50/sheet if it is fully coated. The foundation I just got is well coated.
    What I do resent is someone advertising ‘wax coated’ foundation that isn’t fully coated….regardless of how cheap.
    Also, I don't care if they are called triple, double or max wax. That is simply marketing hype. If they were actually being honest they would have unwaxed, half waxed or completely waxed.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

  10. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Suffolk, VA
    Posts
    4,228

    Default Re: Acorn frames

    Quote Originally Posted by The Honey Householder View Post
    Been dealing with Acorn sense the beginning. Great company to work with. I've sold them tons of beeswax too. Most company have been cutting there beeswax to make things cheaper, but Nick has kept it 100% beeswax all the way.
    I sure hope that is the case. Last year, based upon the overwhelming comments here on beesource, I tried Acorn foundation for the first time. I ordered 100 sheets of the heavy waxed version. Upon opening the box, the smell wasn't your typical "sweet" beeswax smell. It actually smelled nothing like beeswax. Further, I didn't think the wax coating was all that thick. I immediately contacted Nick and he assured me that the thickness (which was my main concern) was "heavy" and suggested that I get it on the bees and see how it performs. I did not ask about the smell. I followed his advice, and the bees really took to it and built it out very quickly. So, at the end of the experiment, I have no strong objections and the bees seemed to really love it, but the smell seemed off. Not quite sure how pure beeswax could not smell like beeswax... I have a friend at work who, based on my suggestion, ordered some Acorn foundation and chose not to use it because of the smell. I've used LOTS of Mann Lake RiteCell and it always smells like beeswax. Not sure what to make of it - just sharing my impressions of the product. I will probably buy more in the future.
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

  11. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    California, North Dakota, Kansas
    Posts
    14

    Default Re: Acorn frames

    I call Nick directly. I always get a better rate. Of course I buy several thousand at a time. I use both full frames and inserts alway double waxed. Full for supers and inserts for hive bodies. Have not had any issues with their products. Who buys just 1 frame?

  12. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Newton MS
    Posts
    17

    Default Re: Acorn frames

    Which is preferred better by the bees the acorn white or black

  13. #32
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Aylett, Virginia
    Posts
    4,960

    Default Re: Acorn frames

    It is dark inside the hive, the bees don't care. Traditionally, the black is used in the brood nest because it makes eggs easier to see. White is used in the honey supers because it looks cleaner. I use black in my supers just because I am ornery.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

  14. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Newton MS
    Posts
    17

    Default Re: Acorn frames

    Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    It is dark inside the hive, the bees don't care. Traditionally, the black is used in the brood nest because it makes eggs easier to see. White is used in the honey supers because it looks cleaner. I use black in my supers just because I am ornery.
    Thanks, sounds simple enough. My startup hive came with a mixture of both wooden and plastic frames and all of them were black.

  15. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    West Bath, Maine, United States
    Posts
    2,729

    Default Re: Acorn frames

    You have a longer window of safety leaving a white frame in the sun before a puddle of wax and a warped foundation results. Square onto the sun angle is a bad idea.
    It is hard to design a safety net that some will not use as a hammock.

  16. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Newton MS
    Posts
    17

    Default Re: Acorn frames

    Quote Originally Posted by Saltybee View Post
    You have a longer window of safety leaving a white frame in the sun before a puddle of wax and a warped foundation results. Square onto the sun angle is a bad idea.
    Thanks, didn’t think of that either. It does get pretty hot here in the summertime.

  17. #36

    Default Re: Acorn frames

    I think black is easier to see eggs on.

  18. #37
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Darlington Co., SC
    Posts
    36

    Default

    If you really think about it, black foundation only helps you see eggs the first couple times that the bees use it for brood. After 2-3 rounds of brood, the residue in light foundation has the same effect, helping to see eggs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •