Heating pad to re-liquify honey

Default Heating pad to re-liquify honey

My regular household heating pad has heat settings of 104F, 113F, and higher settings too high for honey. If I need to re-liquify a full, sealed 1-pound bottle of honey, would wrapping it in the heating pad on the lowest setting work well? How long would it likely take to liquify it (ballpark)?
    I would assume wrapping 2 or 3 bottles together in the heating pad would work too but would just take longer

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Heating pad to re-liquify honey

1 jar? Large pan of hot water out of the tap. Let soak for an hour or two. Invert jar periodically to mix. Replace water if it gets too cool. Supposed to work. I just used the defrost setting on the microwave oven the one time I had to reliquify a jar of store bought honey years before I started keeping bees. Now I would place it in my incubator to warm up.

Maybe you could put the heating pad in a small ice chest and not worry about trying to wrap the bottles?
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

I do use a heating pad to decrystallize honey. I use a a styrofoam box with a hole cut in it for the cord. Itís big enough so I can do a dozen jars at a time. Be sides I use it as a warming box when I make bread.

how long does it take to liquify it with that heating pad method smokepole? do you rotate the jars or anything inside the box? Thanks for the info.

I've been using a food dehydrator to decrystalize jars of honey with great success. I can fit a full case of sealed jars with ease and set the temp and timer.

Depend on how hard that they are Crystallized. 24-48 in most cases. The edges sometimes are slower. I just go in and start pulling bottles till I see stuff that I donít like.

If you just want it liquified so it will pour and get rid of the obvious cloudiness, it can be done in hours at just over 100`F. If you want to totally rid it of all crystals that would otherwise see it recrystallize in a week or so, it will take much longer and a bit higher temp.

Your mileage and all the claims on the internet will vary according to the character of the local honey.
    Frank