Ebay Extractors?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Ebay Extractors?

Does anyone have particular recommendations for extractors that they have picked up on ebay? I'm just a backyard beekeeper in the 3-6 colony range.

This one seems quite popular and is priced favorably compared to buying from Mann Lake, etc. The reviews also seem to suggest a quality build. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-2-...g/112716534875

I'm also ok with using a hand crank, as long as it actually works.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Ebay Extractors?

You get what you pay for.
    Keep in mind parts, service and resale value.
    A good extractor is an investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Grimshaw View Post
    A good extractor is an investment.
    Amen.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

I have a friend that bought one. Had a bunch of headaches to start with. Stick with one of the main manufacture. Like Danant Mann or Maxant. Do your self a favor and get it with a motor.

Thank you this is helpful information!

I have the 4/8 frame non-electric one with the red handle. It has served me well for 3 years. When time comes to replace I will probably upgrade. But, early on I didn't see the wisdom of tying up too much cash in a hobby that was already a moneypit.

Search for Vivo extractors on here. There have been many threads on the Chinese knockoffs.

I bought one oneBay for $60, works good, handle is a piece of crap, I hook a drill to it, works ok for $60 for temporary use, or transporting it somewhere else to spin out a honey bound frame or something.
    NCSBA Certified Beekeeper - my Youtube Vlog
    https://www.youtube.com/c/BackyardBeesNC

One thing to remember one of the main manufacturer they hold their value.

https://www.amazon.com/SUPER-DEAL-St...s%2C144&sr=8-5

I bought one that looks just like this from E-Bay for $80 about 3 years ago. I've only used it for maybe 6 honey producing hives, so I haven't used it for any type of heavy production. It's worked fine for my needs. Towards the end of extracting 30 frames, I am starting to long for an electric model. But the exercise is good too.

You may check around and find a local club that has a shared extractor, or someone willing to let you use theirs.
    Wv dept of agriculture has some scattered around the state for registered beekeepers to use free of charge.

check out the VIVO on amazon. like $400 but has a better basket to do 8 medium frames and the legs are long enough to get a bucket under it.

Quote Originally Posted by coalsmok View Post
    You may check around and find a local club that has a shared extractor, or someone willing to let you use theirs.
    Wv dept of agriculture has some scattered around the state for registered beekeepers to use free of charge.
    I borrow one of the 4 (I think) that our local bee club has, and it works well.

Purchased a vivo off amazon last year and it worked great but they are made with a cheap stainless that rusts. I sold it after finishing this past year and just lucked out finding a mint used maxant 3100p 9 frame. Good name brand extractors hold there value.

I bought the elc. 4 to 8 frames from eBay 4 years ago. i run from 50 to 100 hives, never had a problem with it, I use food grade grease on the bottom of the basket.

Would just reiterate what many before said. I too bought an 'affordable' hand crank one from eBay. Not an issue about the crank vs. electric. But do check out the LEGS of all these made in China extractors.
    I assembled mine and used it. Worked great until I needed to tip it over to get more out the valve above the floor of the extractor. In so doing, I SLICED up my hand so badly I added about a pint of blood to the pint of honey I was trying to squirrel out of the extractor. Mind you all was mixing nicely on the floor by now.

After bandaging myself up I took a look at it. The inside metal edges of those support stands had never been burnished down. They where as sharp as a razor blade.

Later after sanding them down I glued in a wooden insert that was wider than the side edges. Is safely useable now, but not before.

This brand was sold under many different formats on eBay. So buyer BEWARE!!!

I bought one of these a few years ago. 99 bucks.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Goplus-2-Fr...-/351475935190

Works great. We run about 2 dozen hives, some cut comb some extracted, roughly half and half. My neighbor also borrows it. So we're extracting about 15 hives worth of honey the last several years.

Never any problems.

Keep the gears greased, oil the friction points and you'll be fine.

You get what you pay for. If the extractor is any good and the bees are alive and know how to make honey buying a quality extractor from a reputable company will pay off in less than a day of extracting. Based on retail honey value. Cost of bees is a bigger concern than cost of extractor. How many colonies are you running and how much honey do you expect to extract annually?

A few observations. I bought one used.
    You need to grease the gears - mine were quite dry.
    Yes my extractor legs had sharp edges, too.
    The way the handle was attached caused what is known as a pinch point. If you get your fingers in the wrong place while cranking it you could lose a finger caught by the screw holding the handle to the shaft.
    I modified mine to hold 8 medium frames by adding stainless steel bar bent around the corners of the bottom of the rack. That worked well.
    I then used the extractor on about 24 frames. At that time I decided to go back to my homemade 8 frame extractor powered by 1/2 inch drill.
    So, I finally sold it to a newbee for less than I paid for it, with warnings.
    You do get what you pay for, in extractors.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
    I bought one of these a few years ago. 99 bucks.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Goplus-2-Fr...-/351475935190

Works great. We run about 2 dozen hives, some cut comb some extracted, roughly half and half. My neighbor also borrows it. So we're extracting about 15 hives worth of honey the last several
    you hand crank 12+ hives worth of supers?!? i would lose my mind...

Quote Originally Posted by COAL REAPER View Post
    you hand crank 12+ hives worth of supers?!? i would lose my mind...
    i like the vivo electric a lot. i had a plastic hand crank one before, mann lake brand. if you get into some thick honey on less than a 90 degree day you will think your arm is going to fall off. the name brand ones have thicker metal. i like the vivo electric drive much better than the name brand ones. the vivo import is a better value unless you are into kicking things hard and throwing stuff at the extractor. actualy the vivo uses an aisian drive which is name brand on the world market.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast