Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Wick size for tapers and other similar sized candles

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  JWPalmer 
#1 ·
Hi all. A question was posed to me about appropriate wick sizes for tapers and votives. I have been using 2/0 square braid cotton wick for my candles, but want to hear what others are using, and if any problems have been noted such as smokiness or incomplete burning of cylinder candles etc.
This is a picture of one of my tapers burning as I write this. Looks almost picture perfect to me.

Lighting Room Floor Interior design Flooring

Note the pollen patties I made today still in the background.

With a nod to Kamon, what is a beekeeper without a cat?

See less See more
#2 ·
I use the exact same wick for my dipped tapers and they always come out well. I have a problem finding the right wick for poured votives. Can't remember now the different ones I've tried but they just pool up quick and go out. Eventually I'll get it right.

My ferals are always nearby or in the shop with me to stay warm while I work on winter beekeeping projects. They don't particularly care for any power tools I use but melting wax is just fine!

#3 ·
My ferals are always nearby or in the shop with me to stay warm while I work on winter beekeeping projects.
It is nice when the girls come out to keep you company. I had several buzzing around my head yesterday while out on the back deck. They were not being aggressive at all, just curious.

#4 ·
Sorry...ferals was in cats. Feral cats. I have barn cats that I adopted as nearly completely wild but sort of hang around me now after I acclimated them. One will even try my lap once in a while. The other two...not so much unless I want to lose some blood!

#5 ·
Missed that one by a mile, didnt I. Feral cats are OK, I guess. Not big on affection but supposedly good mousers. My sister-in-law feeds 29 in her back yard. Only a few will let her touch them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.