Installing Nuc in Horizontal Langstroth - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Installing Nuc in Horizontal Langstroth

Ironclad just a side thought on your hive design. They get pretty heavy so you may want to consider adding some bracing to the legs of your hive. It would not be good to find it on the ground or badly tilted due to excess weight. Just a thought. Hope all goes well. I'm trying horizontal hive this year as well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bobo View Post
    More simply than making beespace above the top bars is to secure a piece of plastic or canvas or other cloth to set over the bees. It allows for greater heat conservation as well.
    This is definitely an option. For some Youtube video examples look for the channel for The honey bee research center at the University of Guelph in Ontario. They use #8 duck canvas, and you can see it in use in most of their videos.
    Zone 6B

As has already been pointed out, the legs are going to be an issue. Any amount of weight and they will split like a wishbone. I have 6 top bar hives I built with similar legs but they are on the ends and are attached to the hives from the bottom of the hive side all the way to the top of the hive. so there is a fair amount of connection. I also fall over them several times a year. In spite of falling over them on a regular basis, I like the splayed legs because it makes a base that is wider than the hive is tall and creates a lot of stability. It is also hard to get them level at my home because the apiary is on a slope.

Many thanks for the advice Amibusiness slowly replace brood frames. It easier as I move to foundationless and smaller cell. I do like all equipment to be standard.

Bono, thank you I will take a look. I watch German vids and they all seem to use cloth or plastic as innermost covers. The U of Guelph video all show duck canvas as inner covers. I started to experiment with that the bees seem okay with it. Just wondering how the airflow dynamics in the hive change and wher do all the teenager bees go to drink and smoke if there is no attic?

JWPalmer I to am always experimenting. Since I started over in bees I’m trying to come up with modification that work for my zone that provide advantage. I’m not convinced horizontal hive provide enough advantages in Zone 5. Not enough heat rising area for the bees to clusters. I will insulate my experimental box and see how that goes. At the worst I’ll convert the horizontal hive into a coffins style nuc box for the summer.

Ironclad you can just add some strips of wood to the top edge of you box to get the space you need. In the winter how are you going to insulate the top? Can you just cut a sheet of foam to use above the screens?

Quote Originally Posted by BernieBe View Post
    I watch German vids and they all seem to use cloth or plastic as innermost covers.
    I have seen some Scandinavian beekeepers using clear rigid plastic perspex (or plexiglass) under a hyper-insulated cover with no upper vents on YouTube so I decided to try that experiment this winter on one hive. It is a small colony from a September queen where I moved the nuc into an 8 frame deep with a donor filled 8 frame medium above it, clear perspex cover, and a cover with 2" XPS foam insulation. The claim by the users of those covers was that that no condensation forms on the perspex because of the insulated cover. Condensation forms on the hive walls instead, where it then runs down to the bottom or the bees can drink it. I can lift the cover and see the bees through the clear perspex without breaking the seal, even on very cold days. I've been checking on them weekly and I have not seen any condensation.
    Zone 6B

Default Re: Installing Nuc in Horizontal Langstroth -skewers

Quote Originally Posted by honeyhartbees View Post
    On the subject of bamboo skewers. Walmart, 100 skewers for $.98, and they are plenty long enough to go top to bottom of deep frame.
    I use these from amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    18 inches is about perfect after sharpening.

Bonjour
    Il y'a aussi le problème des "Y" et 3Y inversé" des faces des cires.

I have TB and Lang. Every year someone tells me that you can't overwinter bees in a TB hive. Every year I dare them to stick there hand in there and grab a bunch of bees that didn't overwinter. No takers yet.

Do it however you want Ironclad. Just keep them fed (when necessary), dry and as mite free as possible. With foundation or without. I have both.

Quote Originally Posted by JConnolly View Post
    I have seen some Scandinavian beekeepers using clear rigid plastic perspex (or plexiglass) under a hyper-insulated cover with no upper vents on YouTube so I decided to try that experiment this winter on one hive. It is a small colony from a September queen where I moved the nuc into an 8 frame deep with a donor filled 8 frame medium above it, clear perspex cover, and a cover with 2" XPS foam insulation. The claim by the users of those covers was that that no condensation forms on the perspex because of the insulated cover. Condensation forms on the hive walls instead, where it then runs down to the bottom or the bees can drink it. I can lift the cover and see the bees through the clear perspex without breaking the seal, even on very cold days. I've been checking on them weekly and I have not seen any condensation.
    Do you the bees put propolis on the Perspex? Does it stay clean?

Quote Originally Posted by JConnolly View Post
    This is definitely an option. For some Youtube video examples look for the channel for The honey bee research center at the University of Guelph in Ontario. They use #8 duck canvas, and you can see it in use in most of their videos.
    I have used the canvas, and the bees will propolize it, some more than others. This is not a huge problem, but sometimes it can be upsetting to bees that aren't in a good mood already, it happens when you are having to rip it loose from the frames. The Buckstaff bees at the U.ofG., are VERY gentle.

Quote Originally Posted by unstunghero View Post
    Do you the bees put propolis on the Perspex? Does it stay clean?
    They sealed the perspex down at the edges with propolis and there is some wax on it, but its still easy to see through it. The perspex is just six months old, we'll have to see how it goes into the future.
    Zone 6B

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123