Research Project

Default Research Project

I have launched a research project at Experiment.com and am asking for support form the beekeeping community. I invite you to the project description and ask that you consider supporting the project.

https://experiment.com/leezbeez

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Research Project

Rangerlee, this project sounds like a reasonable endeavor. Bee nutrition is an area that needs much better understanding. I am happy to provide my support.

JW Palmer
    Aylett Apiaries
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

I wish to briefly explain the relevance of this proposed study.

This study seeks to expand on basic research that indicates Omega 3 fats and 24-methylenecholesterol enhances honeybee survival through various physiological processes. However, the academic based studies focus on short term survival or small numbers of bees. This study seeks to determine if the theories introduced in these studies can be readily applied to beekeepers and hives in the field. I seek to determine whether readily available oil sources can be used by beekeepers to improve hive overwinter survival rates. Although the oils that will be used are readily available, their costs are substantially more that the corn and canola oils commonly used by beekeepers to make pollen patty substitute.

To support this research, I ask that you consider donating $10, $25, $50, or more through the link provided above. Experiment.com is a website that supports experimental science projects. Experiment.com is an all or nothing crowdfunded platform. If the funding goal is not achieved no one money will be disbursed.

Thank you for reviewing this thread, please read more about the project through:

https://experiment.com/leezbeez

If you would, please consider passing this link to other people you think may be interested. I thank you for your support.

Interesting. There may be some worthwhile follow-through looking at gut microbiomes in the colonies with/without dietary supplementation--at what level are these oils 'essential'? I've pitched in...

Quote Originally Posted by Knisely View Post
    Interesting. There may be some worthwhile follow-through looking at gut microbiomes in the colonies with/without dietary supplementation--at what level are these oils 'essential'? I've pitched in...
    24-methylenecholesterol is an essential sterol which is typically obtained from pollens. However the amount in pollen varies with the species of the plant. Almond pollen has alot of 24-methylenecholestol which most likely partially explains why hives coming off almonds are exploding with brood. However the today's monoculture will most likely limit this important sterol at times.

As for the Omega 3 fats, again this will vary with pollen source. But corn oil and canola oil are very low in Omega 3s. When beekeepers feed pollen patties, it is at times of dearth so availability of Omega 3s are limited. The pollen patty feeding coincides with the production of winter brood which are expected to survive over a prolonged periods in stressful environmental conditions.

Part of the study will examine Nosema c. prevalence during the study to address the very point you raise.

Thank you for your support!

There are only 25 days left on this campaign and the project is woefully underfunded. My personal opinion is that many of the problems we continue to experience with the health of our bees, outside of varroa, are probably nutritionally related, and may be due to a lack of floral diversity and key components in the apian diet. If a simple supplement could mitigate the decline in bee health, I am all for research in this field. For less than the price of a queen, we can help see this project funded.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    There are only 25 days left on this campaign and the project is woefully underfunded. My personal opinion is that many of the problems we continue to experience with the health of our bees, outside of varroa, are probably nutritionally related, and may be due to a lack of floral diversity and key components in the apian diet. If a simple supplement could mitigate the decline in bee health, I am all for research in this field. For less than the price of a queen, we can help see this project funded.
    19 days left and I have a substantial sum of money to raise. The premise of this research is based on academic research that shows Omega 3 fats and 24-methylenecholesterol has effects on worker bees. This research will expand on this basic research and see if bee keepers can apply this directly in the field. Please donate $25 or $50 at:

https://experiment.com/projects/does...for-beekeepers

I have increased my pledge to the cost of two queens, or $50. How much are YOU willing to donate? Projects like this do not recieve funding from Big Ag or the Fed. It is up to us beekeepers to see these through. Sure, nothing may come of it, but what if something does? Would you like to see ALL your hives make it through winter? Or are you willing to accept hundreds if not thousands of dollars in losses every year because your bees died, even though you treated for mites? I am willing to roll the dice.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    I have increased my pledge to the cost of two queens, or $50. How much are YOU willing to donate? Projects like this do not recieve funding from Big Ag or the Fed. It is up to us beekeepers to see these through. Sure, nothing may come of it, but what if something does? Would you like to see ALL your hives make it through winter? Or are you willing to accept hundreds if not thousands of dollars in losses every year because your bees died, even though you treated for mites? I am willing to roll the dice.
    Yeah, talked the talk now walk the walk.
    If it means so much to YOU why don't YOU fully fund the project?

Good grief.

I donated, good luck with it!
    Proverbs 16:24

C'mon clyderoad, I am just trying to help rangerlee out a bit. Like most beekeepers, I have to watch the pennies too. When I think someone has a good idea, I do my best to support it. I voted for then graduate student Sam Ramsey when he did his three minute presentation regarding the varroa mite. Look where that has taken us. On the other hand, my donation to Bee Health Guru hasn't yielded much other than an app I do not use.

I would like to thank everybody for their support. Doing research like this costs real $$. Maintaining 24 hives for a season in a controlled manner means no supporting revenue stream, so it needs a community or grant $$ to support. I am not affiliated with an academic institution, so grant $$ is not going to flow to me. However, I have spent most my adult life conducting academic/industry research, so I know how to conduct research with a goal of obtaining practical and useful outcomes. Therefore, I am seeking support for individuals (or the community) that have their own chips on the table, as it were...

A quick google search for scholarly research articles regarding honeybee nutrition brings up hundreds of links, with a greater focus of the issue starting in the 2000's. This study seeks to further research conducted in the last couple years. Experiment.com limits the amount of in-depth literature review one can describe. However, it one takes the time to start reading the literature he or she will see how fundamental honeybee nutrition is important to the individual and the colony; affecting immune response, learning, life span, etc.

In an era of mono-culture and nectar/pollen deserts nutrition supplements will be ever more important to beekeepers. The possibility of altering the usual pollen patty mix with other oils that provide nutritional demands/needs for colony under nutritional stress may easily help colonies survive. It is not as simple as simply changing a couple hives diets. One needs to attempt to control for other confounding variables, i.e. ensure all queens are sister queens to reduce genetic variability, ensure fresh comb to reduce exposure to chemicals, equal simultaneous mite treatments, etc.

The basic research exists, now the question is can it translate to the field? Your support can help to answer that question, without your support this research cannot be completed. So once again I ask that you consider supporting my efforts.

https://experiment.com/projects/does...for-beekeepers

lee, have you looked into this:

https://www.sare.org/Grants

a friend of mine got one for a beekeeping project roughly on the scale of yours a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    lee, have you looked into this:

https://www.sare.org/Grants

a friend of mine got one for a beekeeping project roughly on the scale of yours a few years ago.
    I did check the website and sadly, CA has no current RFPs.