Warm spells in NJ

Default Warm spells in NJ

Like most of the country here in central NJ we have had weather all over the place this Winter. 70 degrees one day, 20 a couple days later, then back up to 60F. My bees have been flying on warm days which is reassuring. All three of my hives had pretty good stores back in November when I winterized. I had planned to take a peak in mid February to add feed as needed. In years like this with warm spells will the colony go thru stores faster? Should I check sooner than mid February.

TIA,

Alan in NJ

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Warm spells in NJ

Alan, I would check stores and brood next warm day opportunity and not wait until mid-Feb. The bees in the Southeast and Eastern Seaboard are doing things early this year.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

they are eating through a lot of food this year. been too warm. too many flying days for nothing to forage. wasted energy. would be nice to see highs below 40 through february to keep them calm and rested but doesnt look like its going to happen.

Got it. Approaching 50 here on Friday. I'll take a quick peak and feed as needed. Thx.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanInNJ View Post
    Got it. Approaching 50 here on Friday. I'll take a quick peak and feed as needed. Thx.
    Northern NJ. I usually overwinter them on singles or one and half, and add sugar on top. This year they went through their sugar quota twice already. Just topped them off again this weekend.