I hope this is just mold...

Default I hope this is just mold...

These frames had been in storage for a few years, but i am hoping to use them this Spring. I definitely saw mold and have read that the bees will clean that right up.

What concerns me is the stuff on the left side of the frame in the first photo. Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: I hope this is just mold...

maybe moth damage?
    All of my opinions and suggestions are based on my five decades of actual beekeeping,
    not so much on book learning, watching YouTube videos nor reading internet sites.

1st pic looks like moth larvae webs or spider webs covered with mould, 2nd looks like mould only hard to tell, not close enough to see well.
    thing I see different from wax moth larvae in the 1st pic, it doesn't have the straight pathways the larvae burrow in the wax.
    here in oregon I occasionally get white mould on frames stored inside hives over winter and the occasional moth larvae burrows.
    even so, the bees clean up white mould with no problem, the mould usually comes from the dead bee parts, at least in my exp with it.
    some autumn bees find away inside the frames storage, some die inside and mould forms, it's very wet up here with the winter rains.
    DavidZ

So I assume it's ok to use and the bees will just clean it up?

What happens if you put a few drops of bleach water (5-10%ish bleach) on it? I have found mold typically disappears when you do this, but I am not sure if moth damage will dissolve/disappear with bleach water.

A strong hive will clean up mold and minor moth damage in a jiffy.

Quote Originally Posted by elmer_fud View Post
    What happens if you put a few drops of bleach water (5-10%ish bleach) on it? I have found mold typically disappears when you do this, but I am not sure if moth damage will dissolve/disappear with bleach water.
    All of my opinions and suggestions are based on my five decades of actual beekeeping,
    not so much on book learning, watching YouTube videos nor reading internet sites.

I find them like that and I just turn a garden hose on them, shake them off, and drop them in a hive when dry.

Could it be wax bloom?
    Proverbs 16:24