Newbee to be from NW Bama

Default Newbee to be from NW Bama

Don’t have bees yet but I’m more than a wannabe I’m a gonnabe. Put my deposit down on 3 nucs due in April just last week. Been to classes and am going to more. However, have learned just as much from this site. Have watched a lot of videos and am reading “beekeeping for dummies”. Have bought more equipment than I’ll probably need but I’d rather be prepared for splitting or swarms than get caught off guard. Also, I am building a couple traps using Dr Leo’s plans.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Newbee to be from NW Bama

welcome, you've come to the right place
    NCSBA Certified Beekeeper - my Youtube Vlog
    https://www.youtube.com/c/BackyardBeesNC

Welcome, JSneed.

From my very humble vantage point you are off to the right start by doing your homework and reading any and everything you can from well-respected beekeepers. It will put you in a better position to succeed right out of the gate.

Also, my best success has come from locally-caught swarms, so it is my opinion that it is prudent to see how the local swarm stock might perform for you as well.

Best of success to you in your swarm trapping and apiary build-up efforts this year. I will look forward to hearing how things develop for you.

Russ
    Ecclesiastes 11:4

Welcome and good luck w/ your nucs!
    Rod

Welcome j Sneed. What part n. Bama you at. Decatur, and Cullman here. Good luck qith your bees.

I’m in Mount Hope.

Welcome! Best of luck and it sounds like you are positioning yourself for success! If you can get a local mentor from your bee school, it sure will come in handy. Someone that can put eyes on your hive if needed, or even just talk on the phone. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve called my mentor and spoke to him on the phone through my bee veil. Lol

Biggest and best Alabama bee meeting of the year is in Clanton on February 1. Meghan Millbrath will be speaking and many others. Put on by Alabama Extension Service and Auburn Bee Lab.

My wife and I are already registered. See you there.

Welcome to Bee Source from Lamar County Alabama. I usually put my swarm traps up about the middle of February to give foragers time to find them before the swarm season starts here in March. My traps were made using Dr Leo's plans too. Best of luck with your bees.
    "Sometimes the best action, with bees, is no action at all."

Welcome to beesource, you mentioned Mt. Hope in a posting you should include it in your profile.

Just because beekeeping is so localized you will be able to get more relevant info to any questions you may have.

Just a thought.

Happy Home

Welcome to Beesource JSneed. Woodenware for beehives is like ammunition, you can never have "enough". The hobby is very addictive and you'll be needing more "stuff" before you know it.

I put your location in for you.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.