Should I go with Saskatraz packages - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Should I go with Saskatraz packages

There was a time that "NWC" was controlled by Sue Colby, and was only allowed to be used by Strachan and "___?__". Be careful , they may not alll be of the same quality as Strachan. "Carniolan" and "NWC" where once not the same.

Roland

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Sue Cobey.
    NW Alabama, 50 years, 20 colonies and growing, sideliner, treatment free since 2005, 14 frame square Dadant broodnest

My bad, just a cheesehead here. (Colby is from Colby Wisconsin)

Crazy Roland

JMHO:

Chasing some super special hybrid bee strain is a fool's errand. There are too many local variables that affect performance, and, the specially bred traits (if they do exist) will be lost the first time the hive requeens itself, anyway.

My thought is to buy local queens from a reputable breeder, and then, make sure you properly treat for mites!

Again, JMHO.
    Last edited by shinbone; 01-30-2020 at 12:00 PM.
    --shinbone
    (1975-1980, and now since 2011; maintain about 10 hives; Zone 5b; 15" rain; 5500')

"Chasing some super special hybrid bee strain is a fool's errand."

It is amazing to read all the different experiences that have been reported regarding Saskatraz queens, I love the early spring honey the Saskatraz colony produced. My experience has been good especially with regards to early build up and honey production. They do brood up early and eat! Replacing queens and /or colonies with quality mated queens, NWC, Saskatraz, etc., does not make me feel foolish when I see how my open mated queens perform. Raising my own bees and installing quality queens, re-queening or via a nuc, has been fruitfull for my back yard beekeeping. Finding a local, quality breeder is very hard in my area. But I will keep looking. A Saskatraz hive produced over 200 lb. of honey last year - never thought it was possible around here.

Quote Originally Posted by shinbone View Post
    JMHO:

Chasing some super special hybrid bee strain is a fool's errand. There are too many local variables that affect performance, and, the specially bred traits (if they do exist) will be lost the first time the hive requeens itself, anyway.

My thought is to buy local queens from a reputable breeder, and then, make sure you properly treat for mites!

Again, JMHO.
    Just make sure that reputable breeder doesn't live more than 5 miles away, or the first time the colony requeens itself those traits will be lost.Haha. I do agree with second statement, find the type of bees you want, drive there and pick them up, and then split and re-queen from those.

I ordered 4 packages from Man Lake. Will see how they do in my area.

Mt best producing colony is a Saskatraz. My worse mated queen for hive replacements / introductions are Saskatraz ( or is it the hive's fault?). My fastest growing nucs are Saskatraz queened. My best Varroa resistant colony is a New World Carniolan. My earliest Foraging colony is a Saskatraz. My best survivor is a Hawaiian Carniolan (so far, after 4 winters - go figure). My best suggestion is queen diversity and patience. There is the luck-of-the-draw issue.

Quote Originally Posted by bjerm2 View Post
    I ordered 4 packages from Man Lake. Will see how they do in my area.
    . Holy crap, they're $200 a package now? That's crazy.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123