Beekeeping and property taxes - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Beekeeping and property taxes

Quote Originally Posted by NY14804 View Post
    Mike - My Assessor in Allegany County NY said they can tax a doghouse if they wanted (but unlikely they would). My shed is listed on the tax roll as a taxable improvement to my land...so was my former outhouse (they listed it as a "tool shed").

I saw this gem today in our NY law regarding Agricultural Land for exemption: "Land visibly associated with the owner's residence is ineligible.", so if your house looks like it's on the same parcel, no exemption for you. A separate parcel down the road might qualify.
    I do not think that is the intent. If you have a 7 acre lot and your house is on it, then you are visibly not farming 7 acres.
    Last edited by JWPalmer; 01-13-2020 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Fix quotation
    It is hard to design a safety net that some will not use as a hammock.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Three observations :
    #1 - I LOVE to pay taxes.
    #2 - Know the rules before you play.
    #3 - NY is one of the neatest states I have visited, they even have good road signs.
    #4 - If you do not like paying taxes, go non-profit, be a beekeeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonhoneyfarms View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by coalsmok View Post
    It’s the same here in WV. You have to make over a min amount of value to qualify for agriculture exemption. Filed mine last year. Between the bees and the chickens I meet it.
    Nice! Glad you got it done. Texas doesn’t have a minimum value, you just have to show that you are producing something that could be sold, from what I understand.
    Same here nothing actually has to be sold. Just produced, for example the hay we cut for cattle counts towards value produced but is never sold, just used to maintain the herd and produce the final crop(calves for beef).
    So I raise my queens on the house lot and use them to stock production hives on the main farm. The hives on the main farm raise most of my honey crop and the profits from those are listed on its income. The queens are never sold but their value is counted towards the amount of production needed to keep my house taxes lower.

Quote Originally Posted by NY14804 View Post
    Mike -.so was my former outhouse (they listed it as a "tool shed").

I saw this gem today in our NY law regarding Agricultural Land for exemption: "Land visibly associated with the owner's residence is ineligible.", so if your house looks like it's on the same parcel, no exemption for you. A separate parcel down the road might qualify.
    you could read the codes for a week and never understand them, they just make you go round and round in a circle.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Saltybee View Post
    I do not think that is the intent. If you have a 7 acre lot and your house is on it, then you are visibly not farming 7 acres.
    I could give you plenty of examples that void the statement, my buddy has 300 apple trees and bees on his property, he's retired most of his income is from the farm, he gets enough to qualify. another friend has mult. green houses, he also qualifies, not sure with the rewrites of the laws they could qualify now, but they are grand fathered
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

You say your head spins around and around. Bet you do not tip over.

An appointment with the assessor you will be dealing with is a good step. Their job is to inform and be equatable. Like any profession there is good and bad.
    It is hard to design a safety net that some will not use as a hammock.

It is not the bee's it is the agg designation.

Here in WA you need to generate 200 per acre that you have in Agg. If your bees can do it then great if not you need something that can generate the income per acre. Cows, Horses bee's all can graze on your land. You can put into agg the amount of acres that are grazed on. With Bee's you can get most of it but, the paved or houses piece. If you have cows only the pasture and farm barns etc.

You also must have 5 acres and must make 200 per acre 3-5 years and pay back 7 when you take the agg designation off. It takes 3 years of doing the beekeeping to be able to put it in agg. So make sure you are good with it, it takes 10 years to make you any money.

Quote Originally Posted by EastSideBuzz View Post
    It is not the bee's it is the agg designation.

Here in WA you need to generate 200 per acre that you have in Agg. If your bees can do it then great if not you need something that can generate the income per acre. Cows, Horses bee's all can graze on your land. You can put into agg the amount of acres that are grazed on. With Bee's you can get most of it but, the paved or houses piece. If you have cows only the pasture and farm barns etc.

You also must have 5 acres and must make 200 per acre 3-5 years and pay back 7 when you take the agg designation off. It takes 3 years of doing the beekeeping to be able to put it in agg. So make sure you are good with it.
    That’s not too bad. Fairly easy to show $200 in ag income.

In Texas tax codes, the term Ag use....“includes the use of land to raise or keep bees for pollination or for the production of human food or other tangible products having a commercial value.”

So you don’t have to show income at all, and can in fact keep bees simply for pollination and still be eligible.
    Last edited by Nelsonhoneyfarms; 01-15-2020 at 09:04 PM.

Ryan:

I saw this resource on a Facebook forum and I thought of your post. Seems to be a good basic starting point for all 50 states:

https://mountainsweethoney.com/state...er-tax-breaks/
    Ecclesiastes 11:4

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    In NY bee hives are listed on the things that the local assessor can tax along with trees, so far luckily I guess it would require them to do something so they don't, but when they add rocks to the list, I'll have to more out.
    Hey my husband is an Assessor! No tax on NY beehives but I think you know that.
    Proverbs 16:24

Quote Originally Posted by Litsinger View Post
    Ryan:

I saw this resource on a Facebook forum and I thought of your post. Seems to be a good basic starting point for all 50 states:

https://mountainsweethoney.com/state...er-tax-breaks/
    Very good website to get folks started - thanks for sharing!

The State legislature writes the statutes governing the eligibility for agricultural exemptions. The 2 most powerful officials in each county IMHO are the District Attorney and the county Tax Appraiser. One decides if you are going to be prosecuted and the other decides what your property taxes will be (via the appraisal process) and what ag exemptions you are going to receive.

The State made an ag exemption allowance in Texas for bees several years ago. Some Appraisers are receptive to that allowance and some are not.
    You will have to visit with the Appraiser in your county to see what their requirements will be. They cannot outright deny you an exemption but they can make it so onerous with the hope of discouraging you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12