Beekeeping and property taxes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hey folks, I was pretty excited back when I found out how beekeeping would decrease my property taxes here in Texas. This is not an advertisement in any way, I just want to share with other beekeepers who could possibly benefit from this as well. I made a short video about it. Y’all have a great day!

https://youtu.be/S2FSIDRMPDw

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Beekeeping and property taxes

Good for you. J

Quote Originally Posted by Fivej View Post
    Good for you. J
    In NY bee hives are listed on the things that the local assessor can tax along with trees, so far luckily I guess it would require them to do something so they don't, but when they add rocks to the list, I'll have to more out.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

If rocks have value, I am a wealthy man indeed. J

It’s the same here in WV. You have to make over a min amount of value to qualify for agriculture exemption. Filed mine last year. Between the bees and the chickens I meet it.

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fivej View Post
    Good for you. J
    [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.beesource.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG] In NY bee hives are listed on the things that the local assessor can tax along with trees, so far luckily I guess it would require them to do something so they don't, but when they add rocks to the list, I'll have to more out. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.beesource.com/forums/images/smilies/laughing-pounding-floor.gif[/IMG]
    Wild branch - so you are saying the assessor can actually tax you for your hives?

Quote Originally Posted by coalsmok View Post
    It’s the same here in WV. You have to make over a min amount of value to qualify for agriculture exemption. Filed mine last year. Between the bees and the chickens I meet it.
    Nice! Glad you got it done. Texas doesn’t have a minimum value, you just have to show that you are producing something that could be sold, from what I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonhoneyfarms View Post
    Wild branch - so you are saying the assessor can actually tax you for your hives?
    Most States and the Feds regard businesses as ripe for picking. In Maine any personal Property over 1K is taxable. I know of no Assessor brave enough to actually tax a lobster trap as a lot value.
    It is not true that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.
    They can learn them, they just can't do them.

yes, I found it when I first moved here, I'll see if I can find it again. you don't know how great of a state you live in.
    mike syracuse ny

Traditionally, say the past 500 years who had bees had value - sugar - income potential and the taxmen definitely would have taken that. Now, I believe we (beek's and environmentalist) should try to point to the benefits of bee keeping and bees in general with a tax credit. Say X$ for a bee hive XXX$ for a bumble bee box and XXXX$ for native bees on the property.

I am a farmer and came to bee keeping late in my life simply I wanted to see this 'bee dying' issue in my own yard and keeping bees has changed my attitude towards many things we (I) do on a daily bases. Not that I do things much different, but the timing has changed, day to day and over the season. I still dislike dandelions, but I spray them now when the have flowered. I do field measures after my bees go to bed and perhaps use more 'friendly' products. So with thus 'tax credits' could come a change in attitude.

JoergK.
    Summ Summ Bienchen summ herum

Interesting to hear from other states. I still have to pay the feds income tax from honey sales. No state income tax in Texas, but Texas gets us with property taxes. That’s where the bees, or any other approved agriculture, come in. They decrease the property valuation, and thereby the taxes amount.

Dig in and gets complicated, well worth digging. In Maine, 5 acres and 2k in income gets you farm land rates. But watch out for the withdrawal penalties!
    https://www.maine.gov/revenue/forms/...ubs/bull20.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Saltybee View Post
    I know of no Assessor brave enough to actually tax a lobster trap as a lot value.
    I think one tried it once. Nobody has seen or heard from him since.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltybee View Post
    Dig in and gets complicated, well worth digging. In Maine, 5 acres and 2k in income gets you farm land rates. But watch out for the withdrawal penalties!
    https://www.maine.gov/revenue/forms/...ubs/bull20.pdf
    That’s interesting. Thanks for sharing. So the way I read it, if you as the owner decide to take your property out of ag, you get a penalty??? Wouldn’t the state of Maine be getting more taxes when you take it out of ag???

Farmland is not too bad on penalties. The difference between farm rate and standard rate for five years plus interest. Not bad as long as you have the cash on hand. Also eligible to transfer to open space without penalty.
    Property tax is a local tax not a State tax.

I have some problems with the way it is written. No inflation adjustment on the income is one.

Taking out because you can't farm is one thing, taking it out for a strip mall is another.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonhoneyfarms View Post
    well for now I will have to retract the statement, spent more time than it was worth going through the laws, at one point they had a list for the assessor as to what they can tax, best I can tell large sections were changed in 2008, and I can't find bee hives listed any more except under exemptions, but it's winter I'll keep looking. doing a search under the NY govt website, I have 100 pages with 15 entries per page of laws that have the word bees in them, there is no way you can be legal in NY regarding anything
    mike syracuse ny

my understanding is that if you earn 10K gross on the property from any means including beekeeping you can apply for the farm tax exemption

Quote Originally Posted by aran View Post
    my understanding is that if you earn 10K gross on the property from any means including beekeeping you can apply for the farm tax exemption
    Eligibility is determined by the assessor or board of assessors where the application is filed. If denied, the applicant has the right to an administrative review by the Board of Assessment Review.

Land generally must consist of seven or more acres that were used in the preceding two years for the production for sale of crops, livestock, or livestock products.

The annual gross sales of agricultural products generally must average $10,000 or more for the preceding two years. If an agricultural enterprise is less than seven acres, it may quality if average annual gross sales equal $50,000 or more.
    they really don't want small farms using the exemptions
    Last edited by wildbranch2007; 01-13-2020 at 07:57 AM.
    mike syracuse ny

My quick read of https://www.tax.ny.gov/research/prop...g_overview.htm.

Acres can be leased with tax benefit going to the landlord. A four acre next to a 3 acre would qualify for both owners.

Income need not be from a specific parcel. (A parcel is not necessarily the same as a lot in Maine.) (single deed or adjoining multiple deeds in a simple but not necessarily so explanation)

A winter yard would be a strong candidate in my view. There is a lot of Assessor's judgement involved, may get different results in different locals.

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    In NY bee hives are listed on the things that the local assessor can tax along with trees, so far luckily I guess it would require them to do something so they don't, but when they add rocks to the list, I'll have to more out.
    Mike - My Assessor in Allegany County NY said they can tax a doghouse if they wanted (but unlikely they would). My shed is listed on the tax roll as a taxable improvement to my land...so was my former outhouse (they listed it as a "tool shed").

I saw this gem today in our NY law regarding Agricultural Land for exemption: "Land visibly associated with the owner's residence is ineligible.", so if your house looks like it's on the same parcel, no exemption for you. A separate parcel down the road might qualify.
    Zone 5A 2,200 ft.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast