Is Acrylic paint okay to use?

Default Is Acrylic paint okay to use?

I just got my first bee hive kit and I want to paint the outside of the brood boxes and supers. I know I need exterior paint and that I should only paint the outside of the boxes, but I don't know if it makes a difference if I use acrylic or latex paint.
    I bought exterior acrylic paint before I thought about the possibility of it mattering.
    Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Is Acrylic paint okay to use?

I have acrylic paint on all of mine that aren't wax dipped. I haven't had any issues.

Thanks, that makes me feel better! I didn't want to start off by killing all my bees in the first few days (when they arrive).

All my hive boxes and fences have acrylic paint. I have not seen / read about a problem related to acrylic paint.

100% acrylic (water borne) is almost always better product than typical "latex", but honestly, for bee boxes, whatever is available and priced right is just fine.
    Humble assistant to beek Alison as well as family purveyor of luxury Bee condominiums and Paparazzi activities...

Acrylic is just fine. Actually, probably better than latex.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

I did not see where you bought an oil based primer to apply first. I tried the 2 in 1 paints for the first years but found that the paint on the primed hives is in better shape for the same age. I would also use a semi gloss or satin finish, flat looks dingey after a few years. Truth though is I will buy whatever exterior grade paint the big box stores have in the oops markdown section.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Good point on the oil based primer. I only use oil based primer since you can put oil or latex on top and it gets in the wood a lot better.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"