2019 efb threads

Hybrid View

Default Re: 2019 efb threads

Interesting enough, in Europe we have the "American Foulbrood" and in North America you find the "European Foulbrood".

I know, different bacteria. Still interesting that we don't have much EFB in Europe. (Except Switzerland, where it is epidemic.)

anecdotal reports here in the u.s. suggest the prevalence and virulence of efb is increasing with time.

the swiss have adopted a mandatory destruction by fire program and are making progress with eradication.

the u.k. leads the world in efb understanding and management by having a centralized program for dna typing of the various strains of efb.

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    the u.k. leads the world in efb understanding and management by having a centralized program for dna typing of the various strains of efb.
    Didn't know that. Either we don't look careful enough or there is much less EFB. In Germany at least. All we deal with is AFB here.

understood bernhard. the current thinking is that efb is morphing and becoming more of a threat. discovering efb bacteria can live for a long time in beebread and honey makes it more like afb in that the equipment has to be dealt with as well.

here is a very informative video presentation that is worth looking at when you have some spare time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0B9...ature=youtu.be

It's likely the Brits don't know they are leading the world in efb understanding and management either!

anecdotal reports here in the u.s. suggest the prevalence and virulence of efb is increasing with time.
    Only in the SE US.
    Traditional terramycin (or even tylosin) not effective if diagnosed and action taken timely? or is the secondary infections the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by clyderoad View Post
    Only in the SE US.
    i don't believe that is accurate.

when i say 'anecdotal' i am referring to direct personal communications with the leading bee entomology professor at auburn university, the research leader at beltsville bee lab in maryland, and the chief apiary inspector for alabama's apiary protection unit.

i'll defer to these 'experts' and when they tell me that efb is on the rise nationwide i'll accept that until i see evidence to the contrary.

all one has to do is look over the threads linked in post #1 on this thread to see reports of efb outbreaks in the u.s. including the southeast and elsewhere.

waiting for efb test kits and the time delay with obtaining the vfd necessary for ordering antibiotics can certainly contribute to efb advancing through an apiary and reaching a point of no return despite eventual treatment.

the surprising and most concerning facts the brits have uncovered are the ease at which the bacteria can spread within a yard and to nearby yards and the length of time the bacteria stays active in the food stores. they also prove that antibiotic treatment alone doesn't do much to keep efb from showing back up later.

Quote Originally Posted by clyderoad View Post
    It's likely the Brits don't know they are leading the world in efb understanding and management either!

Only in the SE US.
    Traditional terramycin (or even tylosin) not effective if diagnosed and action taken timely? or is the secondary infections the problem?
    Check out Enjambres (Nancy Wicker) ordeal with EFB, up in the Albany area. Nasty.
    Proverbs 16:24

Quote Originally Posted by BernhardHeuvel View Post
    Didn't know that. Either we don't look careful enough or there is much less EFB. In Germany at least. All we deal with is AFB here.
    correct me if I'm wrong as I never have paid much attention to it, but do you have large commercial beeks going from one end of the continent to the other? and how about package and nuc sales?
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan