Tight Smoker Lid
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tight Smoker Lid

The lid on my smoker has been tight since day one. Creosote buildup hasn't helped matters. Just finished wire
    brushing the rim on both the lid and the smoker, and it's still tight. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Jared

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Tight Smoker Lid

Take a propane torch to it until all creosote is burned off, then wire brush. Won't help if is was tight on day 1, but it is good therapy. On a serious note, you can take some tin snips and make a cut on the lid. I would think one will do. J

NCSBA Certified Beekeeper - my Youtube Vlog
    https://www.youtube.com/c/BackyardBeesNC

I have loosened them up a some by bell mouthing the lid a bit. If you just beat it up indiscrimately though, you could make it worse!
    Frank

Interesting video, but the lid is still tight after burning off the creosote and using a wire brush...

you could crimp it with an HVAC crimper or cut a snip in it maybe

Anyone evaluated the benefits of smoking? I stopped smoking because I see no difference between smoking and not smoking. Given their almost universal use I feel like I’m missing something. Then again, I wear a suit and gloves when tending my bees.

Quote Originally Posted by Andhors View Post
    Anyone evaluated the benefits of smoking? I stopped smoking because I see no difference between smoking and not smoking.
    I let the bees tell me if I need to use smoke or not. Most of the time they appear fine without. But, when they come boiling out of the hive, smoke is a must. Also a must anytime you will be performing any serious manipulations and will have the hive open for more than just a few minutes. Removing honey frames comes to mind. I always wear a jacket and veil.

I don't think smoke calms them so much as distracts them. It certainly masks the alarm pheromone and makes a hive that has decided to get defensive much easier to work.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

I am not aware of any studies, but beekeepers have been using it a long, long time,so experience has weighed in. (Anyone know when?) Some don't smoke at all (I believe a small minority), some smoke all the time or too much and others smoke when necessary. It is always a good idea to have one lit even if you don't intend to use it. Like the time I dropped a deep. J

Yeah, that might piss them off just a bit. A lit smoker is a very handy thing to have, even if you choose not to use it. I have had to go back and get mine on more than one occasion and if all the pine straw is wet, well, it can make things interesting trying to put a hive back together.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

I always have a smoker lit and working - even if I don't use it during an inspection, it can still be handy when putting the hive back together, to prevent bees from getting crushed.

Re: the tight lid - it might be worth inserting some shim metal between the can and the lid, then jamming the lid down before prising it off with some kind of lever (large screwdriver ?). With luck the lid will have stretched a few thou by doing that. No guarantees, mind.
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

I always light my smoker but frequently go without a veil.

I clean the lip of the smoker body and the inside of the lid with denatured alcohol. I make sure the lip has all of the creosote scraped off and then clean it with the alcohol.

The best approach to a constantly tight lid on a smoker would be to place it behind the back tire of your bee truck. Then back up far enough that the rear and front tires run over the smoker. Then order a new Dadant large smoker. It will save you hours of frustration over the next 20 years.

I would probably try spreading out the cover along the edges as opposed to the body. I had one that was a little tight and it looked like the rolled edge had a little too much of a roll. Pliers helped and it worked pretty good after that.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Quote Originally Posted by couesbro View Post
    The best approach to a constantly tight lid on a smoker would be to place it behind the back tire of your bee truck. Then back up far enough that the rear and front tires run over the smoker. Then order a new Dadant large smoker. It will save you hours of frustration over the next 20 years.

I like @fivej’s tips. Definitely going to try this. I want my smoker functioning up to snuff at all times when doing multiple inspections etc

Good reminder that mine are the same. I have to pry them open with my hive tool. I never think about it after I get home.
    Is that little ring on the cover for the cork (like on the video linked above)? I always thought it was to pry the stuck cover off.
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

Quote Originally Posted by couesbro View Post
    not the large one, the small one will last 1 1/2 -2 hours then it's time to move to the next yard or rest

Is that little ring on the cover for the cork (like on the video linked above)? I always thought it was to pry the stuck cover off.

Somebody told me that but you can buy a cork with a chain, and place it in there while you use it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast