Adding frames of honey during winter

Default Adding frames of honey during winter

I lost two hives due to bears in November. As a result I have full capped frames of honey that I can add to my lighter hives. My question is how can I add these frames of honey with daytime highs in the thirties (fahrenheit)?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Adding frames of honey during winter

beeeee,

Sorry to hear of your loss. I keep in bear country too!

Some day where you are off from work during the day and the temp is >~50 deg. F, (& calm wind), just quickly pop the top, remove an outer frame (or two) with no bees, shift frames so that you have an open position (or two) in the middle, and insert your capped honey frame(s).

If the capped frames are mediums, that's OK, just adjust for that later. When cold, the bees will probably be just under your inner cover, and that's OK. If brooding has already started, you may interrupt that, but that's also OK. The girls will recover from that. Just do everything rapidly.

The inportant thing is not to let that colony(s) die from starvation, especially at this time of the year. If you have lots of capped honey, add some to all of your colonies that might be in short supply. If you have lots of extra capped honey you can extract it later with the rest of your 2020 crop.

If you need advise on how to build a successful electric bear fence, PM me and I'll send you my plans.

Cheers,
    Steve
    ====

Default Re: Adding frames of honey during winter

Quote Originally Posted by beeeee View Post
    I lost two hives due to bears in November. As a result I have full capped frames of honey that I can add to my lighter hives. My question is how can I add these frames of honey with daytime highs in the thirties (fahrenheit)?
    Depending on how many dead out frames you have and how many hives you want to feed, I have on a 1 to 1 ratio in the past, where i had 2 dead outs and 2 hives booming early and needing feed..
    In My example I had 2 mediums 1 was 1/2 and 1 was full.
    I left 2 combs centered with some open area like say 3 by 6 inches. then surrounded each set with the fullest 4 frames then the next and so on.
    Ideally if cold you do not want a honey free gap for the starving bees to cross.
    I then Popped the lid and inner cover set the medium on top replaced the covers and was done. Open hive for maybe 2 min, it was 25 degrees out, in and out quick.
    If you have several hives and each need a frame or 2 then the above answer would also work.
    2 points,, IMO pull/remove/add frames when it is >50 degrees.
    next place the honey frame in place of the first frame with bees on it, leave the core area alone. Shake that frame lightly and slowly onto the rest of the bees place it on the outside. If the first couple frames on the outside have lots of honey back out.
    GG