Transferring Double 5 Nuc Into 10 Frame Hive

Default Transferring Double 5 Nuc Into 10 Frame Hive

What's the best way/arrangement to transfer a double 5 frame Nuc hive into a 10 frame hive? Do you put all ten into a single deep or put 5 each into its own deep and fill the open spots with foundation or comb?
    Saginaw, Michigan
    Zone 5b

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Transferring Double 5 Nuc Into 10 Frame Hive

Put all frames in a single 10 frame box. Make sure all brood frames are in the center and put honey/pollen frames on the outside. Then, put any undrawn frames outside of those.

MIBees,

I follow the same basic procedure outlined by eric, but not until early April and I also intently feed 1:1 sugar syrup and add pollen pattieds by the 1/2 #, and closely monitor their feed needs.

Cheers,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by MiBees View Post
    What's the best way/arrangement to transfer a double 5 frame Nuc hive into a 10 frame hive? Do you put all ten into a single deep or put 5 each into its own deep and fill the open spots with foundation or comb?
    When I do the same task , which BTW is not done now in winter, but when there would be dandelions, or later, would be as follows.

First prep the 10 frame gear so you have less time with it all tore apart.
    next remove both NUC boxes and the bottom to the side, place the 10 frame gear in its place.
    I would recommend placing the 5 frames in the same order in the center of the hive bodies in the same order and the same story IE bottom frames in the bottom and top frames in the top.
    the rest here could differ depending on if you have comb available
    Have comb, If the hive as a 5X5 was packed with bees, I would place an empty comb on each side of the bottom 5 frames. same on the top 5
    If the hive is packed with bees and is somewhat honey bound then I would slide frame 5 or 1 from the origional positions in the NUC over and place an empty comb in 1 frame from the edge of the old nest.
    Have only foundation or FL frame. leave the bottom 5 alone and let those frames stay together. if the top 5 are honey bound and they are packed with bees, pull 1 frames over from the top 5 and place the empty frame there, close them up.

2 points
    1) carefully check for queen cells and queen rite as you move the frames.
    2)I do not destroy the integrity of the brood nest, I would move as is,, adding space to the sides and only place comb into the nest if they look swarm prone. or have a honey barrier around the brood. See OSBN from Matt D.

follow up management. Open the hive in 10-14 days. if foundation, when a frame gets started that is outside the nest (say 1/2 built out) move it to the center of the 5 frames, IE 2 in from 1 side. With Comb when a new frame is 3/4 covered with bees move it in 1 position. Goal is to slowly add space to the nest for brood rearing with out chilling the original nest. in July (for Mich) place the full honey frames next to the wall and let them use the whole hive. Inserting frames in the nest too soon and too often can chill the brood and cause issues.
    Check them again in 10 -14 days do the same thing.
    try not to roll the queen

This is the way I have done it.

Others will have other opinions, do what you feel is right in your gut.
    GG

What are the votes on two story nests?
    Mine are going to be combined; middle to middles and outer to outers. but it will be merged into one tight nest( well I might throw an undrawn frame in there depending on temps and density).
    It is not true that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.
    They can learn them, they just can't do them.

Quote Originally Posted by ericweller View Post
    Put all frames in a single 10 frame box. Make sure all brood frames are in the center and put honey/pollen frames on the outside. Then, put any undrawn frames outside of those.

The way we used to do it but with SHB ( goit them?) we start off with a frame with foundation on the edge and then a frame from the nuc...followed by a new one etc.
    If we place all nuc frames in the middle we have issues with the SHB
    from the Bee House -http://ecologicalsolutions.com.au/bees/?page_id=8
    40 years - +/- 20 H - TF - Subtropical

Others have hit the nail on the head, but just to slam the message home - it's all about timing and building a good broodnest.

The frames with the largest "diameter" brood pattern go in the middle, with one exception - try to include the open brood near the middle as you can. Pollen goes nearest the brood, honey to the outsides and above if you have more than 8 for an 8-frame hive, or 10 for a 10-frame hive. The idea is to make it easy for as few bees to keep as much brood warm as possible in the colder nights.