Earliest date to install packages in Northeast KS?

Default Earliest date to install packages in Northeast KS?

Looking to start a few new hives this spring. For those of you in Northeast Kansas, what would be the earliest date that you would attempt to install packages?

Thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Earliest date to install packages in Northeast KS?

Quote Originally Posted by HuskerBee View Post
    Looking to start a few new hives this spring. For those of you in Northeast Kansas, what would be the earliest date that you would attempt to install packages?

Thank you
    not in your area , but lateral. My best guess to be safe would be 3rd week in april, early spring may move that up, but for best results you want to into spring with a great bloom going already
    500-1000 hives mostly honey

In sw Michigan I have installed the last week of March, this was on drawn comb with about 50% capped honey

If you donít have comb you need to wait until they can be fed ( over 55F ) or can forage.

Thanks for the input.

Husker,

I'm at the same latitude as you except in the front range at an elevation of 6,800 ft. I'll be installing two 3# packages near the end of the first week of April this year. I installed one at that time of last year with no problems. Be sure to feed them 1:1 sugar syrup and pollen patties immediately, and until your dandelions and local nectar flow starts, and don't let them run short of food.

Cheers,
    Steve
    =====

One supplier has packages arriving from out of state in very late March 2020 and into April: https://packagebees.com/

Another supplier had packages available starting in mid-April 2019, will probably be similar in 2020 I would imagine: https://www.heartlandhoney.com/package-bees/