Skunks

Thread: Skunks

Default Skunks

Skunks are hitting me hard this year. Pretty well cleaned out one out yard and were working on the other out yard hard. Neighbor beside the worst hit told me he has trapped out 6 so far since fall. 4 hives that were full of bees gone with balls of bees all over the ground around them. One hive has a cluster so small I doubt it will make the winter.
    I have spent the morning putting electric to chicken wire in front of the hives in the other out yard and will be going over to do something similar to the remaining hives later today.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Skunks

I get tack strips from a carpet installer and nail it to a board and lay it in front of the hive skunks wont want to walk on the sharp tacks it has worked for me along with live traps and a 22

I believe Michael Bush has said that carpet straps, chicken wire and the like work because the skunks are unable to roll the bees on the ground to kill them, not because they cant walk on them. Upper entrances are probably the most effective and fast solution. J

I have t had any luck with carpet strips. But live trap, lead and 220 conabar (sp) trap has done wonders

I hadn’t considered an upper entrance but I wouldn’t take much. All of my hives have an upper entrance anyway plus a feeder shim with a entrance in it. Just a solid reducer in the bottom.

Electric poly chicken fence around the apiary. Needs a good ground.

For just a few hives something like this works for me:

All of my opinions and suggestions are based on my five decades of actual beekeeping,
    not so much on book learning, watching YouTube videos nor reading internet sites.