Propolis Tincture Question
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Propolis Tincture Question

Happy New Year!

I'm making a new batch of propolis tincture. The ground propolis has turned into a huge glob in the alcohol. Never did that before....
    Using some shine a friend made....maybe the shine isn't strong enough??

Last time I did this, the propolis powder dissolved immediately into the everclear...

Opinions please! Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Propolis Tincture Question

Ziggy, I've had that happen when the pure grain alcohol (PGA) ie. Everclear evaporated and the concentration got stronger. I just kept adding PGA, remixing and evaporating entel it got the way I wanted it.

I did separate out some that would not stay dissolved. I think wax and impurities will separate out first.

Have there ever been any studies done on propolis being good for human consumption? or is this a topical product? Thanks, I’m curious.
    Proverbs 16:24

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy389 View Post
    Happy New Year!

The ground propolis has turned into a huge glob in the alcohol. Never did that before....

Last time I did this, the propolis powder dissolved immediately into the everclear...

Opinions please! Thanks
    Is this your own propolis that might have a bunch of wax in it, or did it come off a propolis mat? I like to break mine up into fine chunks and usually use Everclear and they dissolve into a sediment at the bottom. I do shake it multiple times a day.

The only time I've used rubbing alcohol as the solvent (for external use only), that was pre-ground propolis that came from Russia off ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloverdale View Post
    Have there ever been any studies done on propolis being good for human consumption? or is this a topical product? Thanks, I’m curious.
    There are some scientific studies done that show the benefits of propolis. Probably not as many as the skeptic is looking for to "prove" that it works, but I've been taking it for a number of years and find it very beneficial.

Here is one of many if you google it. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5549483/

Opinions please! Thanks
    I want to try this soon (got a liter of Everclear purchased).
    Got lots of my own propolis all over (already collected and still to be scraped).

I think before you do this - you want to separate propolis from the impurities (wax, wood, etc).
    One way to do it - mix the ground raw propolis with cold water.
    The pure propolis will sink.
    The impurities will float - scoop them away.
    Drain the remaining propolis through some fabric/paper - then let the powder to dry.
    Once dry, use as needed.

This is what I want to try.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Quote Originally Posted by ruthiesbees View Post
    ........but I've been taking it for a number of years and find it very beneficial.
    Ruth,
    Could you describe your ways of taking it and what are your indications (why are you taking, what are the positive changes you observe)?
    Thanks!

PS:
    I want to have a set prepared for internal consumption, but really unsure why should I be taking it outside of colds/flues;
    unless I have clear reasons to use it, unsure I need to use it.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

There are some scientific studies done that show the benefits of propolis. Probably not as many as the skeptic is looking for to "prove" that it works, but I've been taking it for a number of years and find it very beneficial.

Here is one of many if you google it. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5549483/
    May I ask what you use it for and how beneficial it is for you?

May I ask what you use it for and how beneficial it is for you?
    I have osteoarthritis from sports injuries as a teenager. So very sore knees, hips and ankles. (Have had both hips replaced since 2014). Because of the anti-inflammatory properties, it helps keep me off the NSAIDS that are so bad to take on a continuous basis (I also use bee sting therapy for the pain).

My husband started taking it a few years ago when he was diagnosed with high blood pressure and the Dr put him on medicine. He's now off that completely and his blood pressure is 126/80.

Neither of us get the full blown colds or flu anymore as we take it continuously so it is always in our system. I also have beeswax and propolis in a candle warmer bowl that sits next to my computer so the compounds are gently heated and vaporized into the air. Smells great and works well if you feel a tingle of a cold, just sit with that under your nose for a bit and breath deeply.

I am also using the propolis with honey in my conditioner, which does wonders for my hair.

My father was using high doses of propolis prior to starting his proton therapy for prostate cancer and the markers were coming down dramatically on just the propolis alone.

A lady at church is giving propolis and pollen to her 12 yr old dog that has been diagnosed with cancer. She is still around months later, when the vet said she wouldn't last too much longer after the diagnosis.

I think those are all my personal stories of propolis, but there are other instances out there as well. I think most people can benefit from taking a small dose a day to help prevent some of these problems that creep up on us as we age.

My preference for most of my propolis is in capsule form. The propolis has been processed with an alcohol solvent and then the liquid allowed to evaporated so it is a powder. I don't care for the taste of the liquid alcohol tincture, although I do have the one made with a non-alcoholic solvent and will sometimes mix that with honey.

Thanks everyone! I bought some everclear and tried that on another batch of propolis. It almost instantly dissolved everything.
    Thats the difference between 180 proof and 100 proof I guess.

Thanks everyone! I bought some everclear and tried that on another batch of propolis. It almost instantly dissolved everything.
    Thats the difference between 180 proof and 100 proof I guess.
    OH!
    You stated - alcohol.
    100 is vodka, don't call that alcohol!

Have to have 180-190 proof for anything good.

My preference for most of my propolis is in capsule form. The propolis has been processed with an alcohol solvent and then the liquid allowed to evaporated so it is a powder. I don't care for the taste of the liquid alcohol tincture, although I do have the one made with a non-alcoholic solvent and will sometimes mix that with honey.
    Thank you for the tips!

Now, sounds like all you have to do is - purify the ground propolis and just use that powder as for you.
    How do you make capsules?
    I guess I need to google.

As per the tincture - you don't consume the tincture straight (way too strong).
    You add the said number of tincture drops into your water and drink that.

The tincture is just a way to store the propolis in readily absorb-able form (liquid form absorbs the best).
    So once made, no need to dry the tincture back (you are basically undoing the work already done).

Propolis is odd stuff. Not very uniform in its consistency.

I have mixed finely pulverized propolis with 95% grain alcohol (Everclear) and had great difficulty getting it to dissolve.

Kept at 120F for 72 hours, and still only had about 50% dissolve. - You need a sealed container for this, as the alcohol is quite volatile.

I had removed the wax, so it wasn't wax that was undissolved.

So it varies.

If it turns to a lump when placed in liquid, it is most likely because the propolis or liquid were too warm.

It is a geed idea to chill both before mixing, as the propolis sticks to itself very aggressively at room temperature, but not at refrigerator temperatures.

Once it becomes a lump, the surface area available for dissolution is dramatically reduced, and the rate at which it dissolves is also dramatically reduced as a consequence.

I have osteoarthritis from sports injuries as a teenager. So very sore knees, hips and ankles. (Have had both hips replaced since 2014). Because of the anti-inflammatory properties, it helps keep me off the NSAIDS that are so bad to take on a continuous basis (I also use bee sting therapy for the pain).

My husband started taking it a few years ago when he was diagnosed with high blood pressure and the Dr put him on medicine. He's now off that completely and his blood pressure is 126/80.

Neither of us get the full blown colds or flu anymore as we take it continuously so it is always in our system. I also have beeswax and propolis in a candle warmer bowl that sits next to my computer so the compounds are gently heated and vaporized into the air. Smells great and works well if you feel a tingle of a cold, just sit with that under your nose for a bit and breath deeply.

I am also using the propolis with honey in my conditioner, which does wonders for my hair.

My father was using high doses of propolis prior to starting his proton therapy for prostate cancer and the markers were coming down dramatically on just the propolis alone.

A lady at church is giving propolis and pollen to her 12 yr old dog that has been diagnosed with cancer. She is still around months later, when the vet said she wouldn't last too much longer after the diagnosis.

I think those are all my personal stories of propolis, but there are other instances out there as well. I think most people can benefit from taking a small dose a day to help prevent some of these problems that creep up on us as we age.

Thank you Ruth.

Is everyone harvesting their propolis from mats and or scraping frames? I am wondering if keeping these on year round is a good idea ( jax fl). Worried about SHB but would only use these mats on booming colonies

Quote Originally Posted by Rhop View Post
    Is everyone harvesting their propolis from mats and or scraping frames? I am wondering if keeping these on year round is a good idea ( jax fl). Worried about SHB but would only use these mats on booming colonies
    I am only harvesting propolis off the special mats. The other propolis in my hives has too many bug parts in it. There also seems to be a difference in the propolis the bees stuff into the mats vs. everywhere else. The stuff in the mat is more of a resin and less waxy, although it still does have some wax in it when I put it in the tincture. But I'm not able to roll it up in a ball at all like I can the other stuff between the frames. As for the small hive beetles, they don't seem any worse in my colonies with the propolis mats than ones without.

yes there has
    I consume some every week, more often if I feel the need.
    GG

Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    Thank you for the tips!

Now, sounds like all you have to do is - purify the ground propolis and just use that powder as for you.
    How do you make capsules?
    I guess I need to google.

As per the tincture - you don't consume the tincture straight (way too strong).
    You add the said number of tincture drops into your water and drink that.

The tincture is just a way to store the propolis in readily absorb-able form (liquid form absorbs the best).
    So once made, no need to dry the tincture back (you are basically undoing the work already done).
    I would think the Tincture is for topical use. A propolis flavored Vodka would be interesting however.....
    You can get empty gell caps to fill on your own. I find that a bit boring. I "roll" the propolis in my hand and on a table, attempting to mix in the several type/colors/times of the year. When I get a slightly larger than a pencil stick of it, I store that in the fridge. Cool,, one can take a large knife and chop off a "pill" sized chunk and swallow with water. If you are predisposed to believe in surface area and the math of powdered propolis VRS a glob... Powdered mixes well and stores well with honey, A smear on a cracker can also be a good way to dose. chewing it will cause it to stick to your teeth, good if you are working on a tooth ache, not so much, for other applications. Experiment, basically swallowing a set amount is the goal , there are several ways to get it done. Not sure I would mess with stuffing capsules.
    GG

P.S. legs and antenna digest fine, I sell the good stuff $60/pound on the net, the secondes is what I use for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Goose View Post
    I would think the Tincture is for topical use. A propolis flavored Vodka would be interesting however.....
    You can get empty gell caps to fill on your own. I find that a bit boring. I "roll" the propolis in my hand and on a table, attempting to mix in the several type/colors/times of the year. When I get a slightly larger than a pencil stick of it, I store that in the fridge. Cool,, one can take a large knife and chop off a "pill" sized chunk and swallow with water. If you are predisposed to believe in surface area and the math of powdered propolis VRS a glob... Powdered mixes well and stores well with honey, A smear on a cracker can also be a good way to dose. chewing it will cause it to stick to your teeth, good if you are working on a tooth ache, not so much, for other applications. Experiment, basically swallowing a set amount is the goal , there are several ways to get it done. Not sure I would mess with stuffing capsules.
    GG

P.S. legs and antenna digest fine, I sell the good stuff $60/pound on the net, the secondes is what I use for myself.
    Pretty cool you make this propolis "pencil" so to chop off of it the "pills".
    Did not think of this.

I would not bother with the capsule stuffing I think.

Regarding the tincture - based on the grain/food-grade alcohol, totally fine for internal use.
    You simply make few drops into a glass of water and drink the product (typically before meals).

I watched several videos of the "end-to-end" preparation and usage.
    People reported cases when the conventional medicine would be useless - and yet the propolis-tincture regiment did the trick.

Last year I made iso-propyl alcohol tincture for external use - absolutely and ONLY for external use.
    It will stain.

I received my first issue of “2 Million Blossoms” today; of interest is the article titled Propolis for Bees written by Marla Spivak & Bridget Mendel. Also 2 written by Rusty Burlew, Kim Flottum, and a few others. Deb

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast