Mice got in my Hive

Default Mice got in my Hive

The weather here has been unusually warm of late so I took a look at the removeable tray under my screened bottom boards. It appears as though in two of the hives there may be mice because I saw what looked like mouse poop and debris on them. The mouse guards I put in got moved (I noticed a week or so ago & put them back in place not suspecting a mouse might have moved them). The temps have been hovering at or a bit above freezing and will for the next couple of days.
    Is it safe to go in an evict the little critters ???? Anyone else had to deal with this in the winter ??

Thanks,
    Steve

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Mice got in my Hive

I had a family in one hive last winter and did not noticed until spring. They did not do much damage other then clean the corners of four frames where they build their nest. Would a couple of OA treatments kill them or at least tell them to find a more suitable home without gas? I placed 1/2x1/2" mesh on my entrances this fall. Some may have gone in my mouse traps last year. Bacon or cheese may pull them out at night.

JoergK.
    Summ Summ Bienchen summ herum

Members her have reported that they had success getting a mouse out by doing an OAV. I noticed mouse droppings on a tray last winter and tried it. No mouse came out. But when I opened it up on the first nice day, it was gone so they evicted it at some point earlier. No damage. I would not open the hive until it was warmer unless hive was small and light enough to lift it off the bottom board hoping the mouse is there. Mouse runs off, set boxes back down. Good luck.

Yes, lifting two deeps together might be a bit much. O.A. sounds like a good option.
    Traps on the landing board could entice them out too, but wouldn't want to leave mouse guards off too long !
    Steve