Why do Beeks stack supers so high? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Why do Beeks stack supers so high?

Question to all you multiple-stackers: Do you put the new super on top, or do you put it on the bottom?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Weather is important too regarding supering; for some reason this past year the weather was perfect for nectar, from Spring to late Fall, and supers were stacked high, because the bees took forever to cap the honey.
    Proverbs 16:24

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo3 View Post
    Question to all you multiple-stackers: Do you put the new super on top, or do you put it on the bottom?
    There is no way that I could ever undersuper; always on top.
    Proverbs 16:24

Jimbo3 I start the year with bottom stacking. If it gets to tall or rushed then on top.

I use 3 8 frame mediums for brood, topped by an excluder. I under super but never more than 3 then I extract. I find that more than six boxes high exceeds this old mans capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo3 View Post
    depends on what is happening in the hive and in the flow, and If I have comb or foundation.

First one or 2 are just stacked. I like to use comb as the first super, early flow they are not yet geared up for wax building, also gives immediate space for nectar storage. Second reason, get them out of the garage before something destroys them, for me on the bees is better than in the shed.

Later when the flow is really going and the bee population is up , adding foundation or empty frames seems to work better. Also then I may move some frames being worked into a new super and add some foundation to the space they came from.

The question I see is why do beeks stack so high, Many only extract/harvest 1 time per year. Adding a 4th and extracting the 1st and/or second is somewhat a PIA. too many trips. add 4th add trap out board, go back get the honey, extract, then go back the 3rd time to add the wets back. for 1 or 2 hives no worries ,for 10 it adds a lot of time. I have done that exact thing but due to being out of supers, it was build 12 or extract 12, I extracted that time, 2 each off six hives.

Because I only want to harvest and extract each hive once annually if possible.
    All of my opinions and suggestions are based on my five decades of actual beekeeping,
    not so much on book learning, watching YouTube videos nor reading internet sites.

When I start to extract it takes me a month plus. So I pull what I can during the weekend and spin a load or two every night after work. So I do focus on getting the super high ones lower. During the summer I try to stop by all yards once a week.

I tend to checkerboard some of the frames in if the existing supers are mostly capped. If the supers are uncapped this does not work though. I only had 2 hives with supers this year, so this works for me, but probably not if you have a lot of hives.

Quote Originally Posted by My-smokepole View Post
    When I start to extract it takes me a month plus. So I pull what I can during the weekend and spin a load or two every night after work. So I do focus on getting the super high ones lower. During the summer I try to stop by all yards once a week.
    In a pinch you can move a full super to a smaller hive. Place an empty on the smaller hive, 1 at a time shake the frames of 90% of the bees place the frames in the empty super on the smaller hive. Helps keep a stack lower if it is getting tippy.
    GG

Look at the upper entrances on the high super stacks. If there are no bees present, the boxes are probably not needed.

With proper management, you should be able to get bees to fill a stack to eyeball level of a 6' person. If the bees are there, the box is warrented.

Crazy Roland

Reasons vary.

Personal preference.

You need to keep the supers somewhere.

Manhood issues.

Not coming back to the yard for 2 weeks, and don't want to miss the flow.

Too many bees in the hive, and they need a place to hang out or they'll swarm.

No time to spit the hive (see above)

No time to extract, and no place to store.

Improved ventilation (taller hive has more convection) to dry out the nectar.

Saw someone else do it, and thought it looked cool.

It seemed like the thing to do at the time.

If you look at ian web site he talks a little bout it. He says that he runs 1200 hives. He can only process 500 hives a week and during the flow the bees fill out a box a week. So if your bottom two boxes are brood boxes and the flow is on he has to put three boxes on top so that would mean five boxes. A sixth if something goes wrong and you get a delay. As a tinny bee keeper I only harvest once a year. I normally end up with four boxes and sometimes a fifth on a high performing hive.

Quote Originally Posted by A Novice View Post
    Reasons vary.

Personal preference.

Manhood issues.

Pretty good list of observations for a novice!

Stacking boxes high has not not helped me with my manhood issues.
    All of my opinions and suggestions are based on my five decades of actual beekeeping,
    not so much on book learning, watching YouTube videos nor reading internet sites.

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    Because I only want to harvest and extract each hive once annually if possible.
    And to show off!
    My opinions are based on whatever OD Frank says because he thinks he knows everything!

Clarification to mbear about Ian: he (top) supers on a single with excluder. Can be five (or six?) deeps for honey. Then when escape boards are put on during the flow they may get three boxes for the "evacuating" bees to work. Good thing he had them in the ground cause that's getting towards ten feet tall for a couple days....
    Part of me would be happy to have colonies that tall. That part of me is not my back. I have deep misgivings when I'm putting an empty on at eye level. I can't lift a full box over my head and I'm too small for an ez loader.

I am surprised no one has mentioned this reason. Cause bees like to move honey. Especially when they are curing it from nectar to honey. I used to keep records of the amount of honey/nectar in each side of each frame in every box. You will be surprised how much honey/nectar is moved around in a 7-10 day period. They put it where they think they need it. It they can't do that, especially early in the flow they will swarm. Later in the flow if they are honey bound, they may swarm. It is better to have more than is needed........to an extent. Too many can also cause a hive to abscond because they can't cover all of the frames once they start putting in honey. Then the SHBs and WMs start to take over. I have seen them abscond with several supers of capped honey.
    De Colores,
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by USCBeeMan View Post
    I am surprised no one has mentioned this reason. Cause bees like to move honey. Especially when they are curing it from nectar to honey. ....
    Well, that is the essence of the need for temporary storage.
    Making honey from nectar takes lots of temporary storage for whatever manipulations they do (nectar moves are included).
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Quote Originally Posted by A Novice View Post
    Reasons vary.

Personal preference.

Manhood issues.

I pulled some two years ago that was 90% capped, stored it in my garage for 30 days waiting to extract. Ended up with several frames with wax moth, I prefer not to have that happen again. I run excluders and upper entrances, stack them high.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12