Dry feed in winter

Default Dry feed in winter

I ended up giving my hives approximately 6lb of dry granulated sugar as a supplemental feed this winter in case they go through regular stores. Haven't been able to source any info online about anyone able to come up with an equivalency on dry sugar vs honey as feed. Not sure how much of a difference 6lb of feed makes. Could be a drop in the bucket or it could last a long time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Dry feed in winter

I don't know the eqiv. of sugar vs. honey, but I do know sugar is easier to check on a warmish day without dismantling the entire hive........you can always add more when necessary.

I use sugar bricks which are easier to handle than loose sugar & easily removed when spring rolls around.

I make sugar bricks and put them in all my hives on January 1. I throw another in in the end of February with a pollen patty. Most of the time I take the second one out when it is warm enough to wet feed.

Ya, donít worry about how long itís going to last, too many factors. Iíve had bricks last quite a while but sometimes when theyíve got a lot of workable moisture theyíll break the sugar down and store it in the cells.