Asian Giant Hornet
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry Asian Giant Hornet

Hot off the press at the Daily Dead Fish Wrapper (Portland Oregonian), Asian giant hornets have been found in
    Washington State.
    Just what we need; another pest or disease to battle. It never ends!
    We best start cracking the book and get ahead of this one:
    https://www.oregonlive.com/environme...ton-state.html
    I have exactly ONE more hive than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond dispute!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Asian Giant Hornet

It probably came from British Columbia. A nest of them was found just over the border in September.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryVanderpool View Post
    Hot off the press at the Daily Dead Fish Wrapper (Portland Oregonian), Asian giant hornets have been found in
    Washington State.
    Just what we need; another pest or disease to battle. It never ends!
    We best start cracking the book and get ahead of this one:
    https://www.oregonlive.com/environme...ton-state.html
    Found this very useful article from Honeybeesuite about a beekeeper in France that has been dealing with them. He has some successful measures and controls. Rusty also updated it with the local siting you mention. https://www.honeybeesuite.com/beekee...asian-hornets/
    I'm smart but at the end of the day I'm still the help.

Hey Harry,
    I saw that article too, on Katu
    https://katu.com/news/local/invasive...et-found-in-wa

Was also going to make a post about it. I hope this was just a rouge siting. Just what we need right now, another pest to deal with.
    Eric

If the life cycle is like other wasps (like yellowjackets), only the queen overwinters, then builds a nest in spring. That means she has to forage to feed the first young, then she doesn't leave the nest. So very early spring is the time to set out bait stations.

I killed over 30 yellowjacket queens like this two years ago. I saw 2 yellowjackets this past year, so I'll do it again. Most of the queens drowned in pollen-patty remnants tossed into a bucket of standing rain-water.
    "The amazing thing about the honey bee is not that she works, but that she works for others." St. John Chrysostom

Quote Originally Posted by dudelt View Post
    It probably came from British Columbia. A nest of them was found just over the border in September.
    Unlikely it came from the nest that was found and destroyed, as that nest was in Nanaimo, on Vancouver Island, so a big chunk of water between the nest and where this one was found. I spoke to the folks that found the nest and eradicated it only a couple days after it was dealt with.

The nest found in Nanaimo is an interesting story, there was a significant urgency to finding it as the discovery of those hornets was about the time of the year they would be starting to produce queens for wintering and starting new colonies next year. They knew it was somewhere in the area, one of the club beekeepers had seen one catching bees at a hive, so they caught it and forwarded the dead specimen to the provincial ag department for identification. When the nest was found, they used fire extinguishers to smother it in CO2 while digging it up and getting the combs and brood intact. They were putting the insects into alchohol as they pulled them out, knocked out by the CO2. An entimologist went over every dead insect and active brood cell to check for queens. One fertile laying queen was found, and no young queens either present or in development.

And just to give you an idea of how reslient these things are. I attended a meeting of the Nanaimo bee club a few days after the nest was found. One of the combs was passed around for us to take a good look at the larvae. That comb had spent 3 days in the fridge, and 2 days in the freezer at that point, and the larvae had not been fed. Some of them were still wiggling.

The question everybody has been asking since then, how did it get there, and are there more ? Lots of thoughts around 'arrived on a ship' but no real answers. The nest in Nanaimo was about a half mile from the harbour in a park. All the bee clubs on the island from Duncan up to Campbell River have had presentations that included show and tell with preserved specimens of those hornets. Everybody knows what they look like and will be on the lookout for them next spring. After the found nest was eradicated, no sign of them in traps or otherwise on the island, so there are high hopes the discovery was a 'one off'.

I must admit, reading about another discovery in Blaine is not what I wanted to hear.

By the photo (https://www.oregonlive.com/environme...ton-state.html) is the mandarinia hornet. In Europe the invading hornet is the velutine nigrithorax. If this hornet is established in your territory next year, I hope local authorities will allow the use of Trojan horses. France and Europe are paying dearly for not allowing this strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo Gomes View Post
    By the photo (https://www.oregonlive.com/environme...ton-state.html) is the mandarinia hornet. In Europe the invading hornet is the velutine nigrithorax. If this hornet is established in your territory next year, I hope local authorities will allow the use of Trojan horses. France and Europe are paying dearly for not allowing this strategy.
    The nest found and destroyed in Nanaimo was confirmed to be the mandarina.

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo Gomes View Post
    I hope local authorities will allow the use of Trojan horses. France and Europe are paying dearly for not allowing this strategy.
    Please explain!

Quote Originally Posted by Juhani Lunden View Post
    Please explain!
    Velutina hornet has been progressing in Europe despite all efforts and techniques used. Trojan horses are the only known technique for attacking non-localized nests, which are estimated to be 80% of the total. Each nest produces about 300-500 new founding queens for the following year. It is clear to me that without a strategy that eliminates or greatly weakens non-localized nests, growth of the velutina hornet population will only be limited when food shortages are reached. By then it will be too late for most honey bee colonies, so far an important part of their diet in the summer and fall months.

2018 paper - said to be the first on the subject of biological control of hornets using fungi:
    https://www.researchgate.net/publica...Vespa_velutina
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

The hornet episode in Nanaimo was well documented and there have been many presentations about it. This video was done by the folks that went in and removed the nest, parts of it are a bit hokey, but there is some good stuff in there. Documenting the nest removal in Nanaimo starts about 2 minutes into the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXZeS1g7oxM

At a little over 6 minutes you get to see the queen. Holy cow. Wow they were brave for going in at night and sticking their hand down that hole after blowing CO2.

I think I’m glad you posted the link but we’re going to need a bigger boat.
    Last edited by LAlldredge; 12-24-2019 at 12:36 PM.
    I'm smart but at the end of the day I'm still the help.

OMG thanks for the video. I have heard that in some area in Japan they drink ‘giant hornet liqueur’ and enjoy stir-fried larvae……

Can these hornets survive cold winters? Like those in Upstate NY?

Quote Originally Posted by lobottomee View Post
    Can these hornets survive cold winters? Like those in Upstate NY?
    They survive the winters on the northern islands in Japan, so yes, they can likely survive your winters.

Thumbs Up Re: Asian Giant Hornet

Quote Originally Posted by LAlldredge View Post
    Found this very useful article from Honeybeesuite about a beekeeper in France that has been dealing with them. He has some successful measures and controls. Rusty also updated it with the local siting you mention. https://www.honeybeesuite.com/beekee...asian-hornets/
    I wish there was a like button for your post. I like it!
    ...We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are...

Can you explain hot to do a "Trojan Horse" with these and where to find more information on the method? I did see a youtube video where a Beek in Brittany mentioned it, but not other information.

Thanks!

Can you explain hot to do a "Trojan Horse" with these and where to find more information on the method? I did see a youtube video where a Beek in Brittany mentioned it, but not other information.

Thanks!
    post #11
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

Something to keep in mind, the hornets being discussed in Europe, and those recently found on the west coast are very different critters. If just using google to find information, note the difference between 'asian hornet' and 'giant asian hornet'.

From google at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_giant_hornet
    ========
    The Asian giant hornet is sometimes confused with the yellow-legged hornet (Vespa velutina), also known as the Asian hornet, an invasive species of major concern across Europe, including the UK.
    ==========
    Last edited by grozzie2; 12-24-2019 at 05:06 PM. Reason: adding more detail

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast