Dr. Tom Seeley's new book "The Lives of Bees"

Question Dr. Tom Seeley's new book "The Lives of Bees"

Hey, everyone,

I'm about to order this, has anyone else got a chance to read it, what do you think?

Regards,
    Thomas
    My grandfather and great-uncle kept bees and my fiancée's grandfather, too. I want to pass this tradition along.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Dr. Tom Seeley's new book "The Lives of Bees"

Quote Originally Posted by Yunzow View Post
    Hey, everyone,

I'm about to order this, has anyone else got a chance to read it, what do you think?

Regards,
    Thomas
    I read it and really enjoyed it. Great book. I recommend it.

I am in a slow progress....

A paper copy is a worthwhile purchase.
    No matter what I say, I still bought the book because it is good (just the reference section alone is a treasure).

Importantly - in this book he admits how some of his earlier works are wrong.

PS: to be sure, I have my gripes and commented a couple of months ago already.
    Last edited by GregV; 12-19-2019 at 03:58 PM.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Did it actually change your thinking about how you keep bees?
    Quote Originally Posted by psm1212 View Post
    I read it and really enjoyed it. Great book. I recommend it.
    My grandfather and great-uncle kept bees and my fiancée's grandfather, too. I want to pass this tradition along.

Excellent book. I have several books by Dr Seeley and like this one best.
    "Sometimes the best action, with bees, is no action at all."

Quote Originally Posted by Yunzow View Post
    Did it actually change your thinking about how you keep bees?
    Hard question. I think I am always changing my thinking on how I keep bees. I have only done this for 6 years and I have done something radically different each year.

I don't think this book had much of an influence on how I keep bees, but probably did have an influence on what I think about bees. I don't want to give away spoilers, but some of the high points to me were his discussions on how the North American (my term) bee has evolved from German blacks, Caucasians, Carniolans, Apis m. sculleta, et. als. I thought the DNA comparison between the specimens he collected decades ago (late 70's?) and a modern day nest of the Arnot Forest was pretty fascinating.

If I had to be critical, I would say that I thought some of the nest preference stuff was a little recycled from Honey Bee Democracy, but I did not mind reading it again.

The primary focus was his Darwinian Beekeeping discussions, where he compares wild bees to managed bees. Some beekeepers get a little bored with this because we are . . . beeKEEPers. We are not wild honey bee observers. So comparing Wild vs. Managed can seem a little pointless, since beekeepers are never going to be able to replicate anything resembling the Arnot Forest.

However, I think Seeley's point is that we, as beekeepers, need to understand as many factors as we can why wild bees may thrive and managed bees may struggle. The better we understand these issues, the better we can attempt to mitigate the impacts of keeping bees the way we do.

[QUOTE=GregV;1771377]I am in a slow progress....
    "Importantly - in this book he admits how some of his earlier works are wrong."

Progress!

I am in the middle of this book now. For whatever reason, I found Honeybee Democracy to be a better read. Something about this book is not as engaging. Not done yet....

I see that my library has both of his books in paper and audio. I put the new one on hold and checked out the other. I have no idea how such a book would be audio but for the price I am going to try it.
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)