Summ Summ Bienchen summ herum

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: OA VAP 110.04 Oxalic Acid Vaporizer

Can you supply a link to purchase your vaporizer? Thanks

Hello oneshoo,

it is easy, you can send me your email to joerg [email protected] or pm me, or sometimes, I have one on ebay

We can do this at your preference, just look at the details here

Cheers, JoergK.

Perfect, thank you. I will link a bank account to my currently depleted PayPal and forward payment to you. What do you anticipate for a shipping date after payment?
    A Coastal SC Master Beekeeper on a coddiwomple

Hello OBG, I have one ready for you. It could go out today or on Thursday since I am out tomorrow.

JoergK.

Hello, This question was asked:

Looking at Johno's units it looks like he has an insulation around the bowl for greater heat retention and perhaps faster vaporization speed. I have left over high temperature flat stove gasket rope that I was thinking I might wrap around mine. Do you see any harm in adding insulation?

My answer: this is a good question, but I have not experimented with it. I see no harm in it. Johno & I have discussed this and he feels it makes a world of difference. From my side, I have not found the right material, yet and I dislike duct tape with a passion. So trying does not harm anything. I will start a test on this myself and will report.

This may work:Thermwell Tape 1.jpg but string would be better for rapping it around the bowl. Make sure it is muffler grade insulation to withstand high temperatures. Let me know what your thoughts are. Thanks.

JoergK.

I insulated some of my homemade models and it does speed up initial heat up and recovery between boil offs. I used layer wrapped fiberglass cloth. The aluminum foil tape would make a good protective coating for the glass cloth that kind of tatters up otherwise. Joerg's units would be easy to wrap the sides and bottom of vessel. Just be carefull not to spill OA powder down into the glass cloth as it takes a while before it quits giving off that irritating smoke.
    Frank

I asked the question regarding insulation and aluminum foil tape was my first though to protect the insulation. Thinking about it more the foil might get beat up as well. I wonder if one could brush on high temperature silicone caulk or perhaps a mastic like this:
    https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...1796008&rt=rud

My other thought would be a muffler tape over the insulation. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Williamson View Post
    I asked the question regarding insulation and aluminum foil tape was my first though to protect the insulation. Thinking about it more the foil might get beat up as well. I wonder if one could brush on high temperature silicone caulk or perhaps a mastic like this:
    https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...1796008&rt=rud

My other thought would be a muffler tape over the insulation. Thoughts?
    Ryan, I think all these ideas are workable. In a pinch I made a flexible tapered intake adapter using old T shirt material saturated with silicone and wrapped about three layers. Fuel proof, air tight, and flexible. You could do the same substituting glass cloth and the high temp silicone. Do the same with muffler cement or plaster of paris to make something like casts are made of.
    Frank

I bought one of these units and it is great. Too cold here to do actual treatments but I ran some water through it as suggested to test and to do a test run on cleaning. I also did a couple of trial runs with oxalic acid, just blowing it outside in the yard. The unit is well built, works great, and seems very sturdy. Very professionally done with the equipment and service.

Hello Bee-vapor's, thank you for your comments.

Beut Idaho, please give your comments with your special bend 3/16 tube, how it works etc.. You have a prototype and it is always good to hear if it works or not.

The longer tube may be cooling the vapor to fast and/or to much, so watch it carefully and react to it if your mites don't drop in numbers!

I am always improving the unit, that is why I am already on 110.04 now. Not that the 01 one doesn't work, but small improvements may make it more reliable, easier to handle and/or lighter.

We cut 80 frames at a time, so some changes need to wait until we do the next cut run. I run a farm and a seed export business, so time is often in short supply, but i am trying hard to make (and keep) my buyers happy.

JoergK.

Sent an email regarding purchasing from you. Looking forward to getting one of your units!

Thanks Joerg,
    Feedback time! I just treated 53 hives in 60 minutes with my new unit from you. Thats about three times as fast as my old two wand system so I am thrilled! I did wrap some flat stove gasket rope around the bottom and sides so I am not sure if that sped things up or not.

A few small feedback notes as I know you are interested in improvements.
    One small easily fixed frustration was that the rubber grip would rotate on the handle. I will just give it a quick squirt of 3M spray contact cement and shove it back on. I recall in my youth working at a bike shop we would put handle bar grips on with hair spray. I just used the new white caps and did notice what appears to be a bit of degradation on the part that was stuck inside the unit. I am curious how long they will last.
    Overall it's awesome and I highly recommend it There are less mites in my neck of the woods now!
    Ryan

IMG_20200207_094234.jpg
    Homemade insulation

IMG_20200208_153828.jpg
    Caps after one round
    Last edited by Ryan Williamson; 02-08-2020 at 04:03 PM.

cozybees - did we make contact? I can't know since your email address & name is different then your name in this forum.

Ryan, Thanks for your remarks and I apologies for the bike grip turning on the pipe. I will use the method you suggested from now on.

I guess the only way to see the difference with insulating the bowl would be to use it both ways on a set amount of hives. I did not notice much delay when I treat without insulation, but I only have four hives, so a difficult amount to see a 10% increase in speed.

The plugs (any material) will deteriorate over time with use, even the Teflon rubber is not immune against the heat that the unit generates.

Please keep me all posted on your findings. I am here to listen and act.

Cheers, Happy Hunting, JoergK.

I'll also give my feedback after 1st use.

I should have timed the use , but I was in "1st use" mode so took my time. Using the 4 supplied caps, I would guess it was at least 3 times faster than using my wand.

Once I preloaded the caps and allowed the unit to reach 400 (mine tops out at 432F) Once I rotated the unit and tapped the plug, temp would drop to around 300-320, within about 30 seconds or so, it had reached 400-430 and that hive was done. I was so quick, I double checked that I had done it correctly

10 hives went by PDQ!

What I used and found. I used a portable genset and a 100' HD power cord I had. I could hear the genset pull amps when the OA was dropped into the pan which I liked, when the unit hit set temp, I could hear the genset lower the load, I liked this as an audible actually. I can easily see using a genset placed in a pickup bed for doing out-yard type situations and treating every hive within that radius easily.

I also treated from the front entrance using a paint stir stick with a 1/4" hole drilled as Joerg describes, I have slatted racks on these hives and it was a fair comparison to the wand. It appeared I got as much or more vapor emitting from cracks and crevices as I do using the wand. I like the idea of using holes in the brood boxes, just apprehensive of blowing up to 400f vapor possibly directly into a loose cluster (problem? idk?) I likely will drill holes at some point though as I can see there may be some advantages to injection site in the middle of the 2 brood boxes.

As far as the unit itself, much better build than the photos imo, very clean and well done. From my limited one time use so far, I cant see having to add a temp shield as I didn't experience a huge slowdown (as compared to using the wand), It was all I could do to refill the caps to continue. What I did run into on hive 9 and 10, it seem enough liquid vapor gets in the cap after a couple uses and there was a very small amount of oa crystals that stuck in the cap corners. I think having a cloth handy to quickly wipe them out would cure that if it's even a problem. The majority of the load was cooked off in any even after a small finger flick on the rubber cap that helps drop the crystals into the heater.

I had no problem with the handle, even tried after reading this thread again, mine is pretty solid.

Joerg, my 1st use convinces me you have a winner, I also want to commend you on a very well built product, great email response and lead time. Thank you much Sir and all those that tackle things like this that may help others manage our endeavors.
    “Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic”

Quote Originally Posted by Biermann View Post
    The for sale ad I started should not have any message or comments,
    First of all good for you for adhering to the stated rules! Yes, that is what the rules suggest for that sub-forum, but since Barry is no longer running the show, it seems that violations are now overlooked. Personally, I believe that it does a disservice to the For Sale sub-forum to permit such lengthy commentaries that are currently ongoing. In fact, if I were a paying advertiser here (particularly if I sold Oxalic Acid Vaporizers) I'd be quite upset that "some" members get free promotion while others need to pay. We all want Beesoure to thrive and continue to be a wonderful asset to the beekeeping community.

Just my 2 cents...
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

Western - thanks for your comments, but I feel I should not comment right now, I am a humble guy if I have too

AstroBee - well, I like to know my path and like to stick to it. One issue is the possibility to edit a 'for sale' post, it should be possible by the seller at any time and not limited to a day or two after posting. Your comments are dead-on!

I think sometimes people dont realize that they are on a personal, paid, space. I have made posts for example on TF that was not appropriate. If you click on most recent post you dont see a header indicating what forum you have arrived at.

Someone should not be getting a free ride on your nickel!
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Biermann View Post

AstroBee - well, I like to know my path and like to stick to it. One issue is the possibility to edit a 'for sale' post, it should be possible by the seller at any time and not limited to a day or two after posting. Your comments are dead-on!

Well, I did specifically post a similar sentiment in one of the currently lengthy ongoing discussions in the For Sale sub-forum. The thread starter agreed with my comment and then continued to permit/condone such behavior. Apparently its good for sales...
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

Hello All,

A quick update from my end. I am not to worried about post in my sales thread, we are all only human.

Production is good, but as johno says, some parts are in short supply and I will be away all next week, Feb. 21st to March 2nd. So no production or shipping before March 5th!!!

We also have to make and order new parts and have to hope for timely delivery.

EBay has not been to good on sales, charging an average of 12% per sale and in addition PayPal charges additional 4%, so more sales are developed through the Beesource. Also, contact to the buyer can not be done anymore through eBay after 90 days from sale, one issue I don't like because I always like to know if my buyers are happy. I guess I am not selling a $100,000 BMW, but still the buyer should be happy and I need to be allowed to make contact at my terms, not only be pushed for short term deals.

We are now shipping to many different destinations and it is interesting to hear the comments from buyers. The use of band heaters from the US has helped to keep the supplies on different voltage models easy. No problems to date with crossing any borders! (Keep my fingers crossed!)

I will order new laser cuts in March and will change the cover from 16 Gauge to 20 gauge since it is not part of the strength of the construction, but only a cover. This should reduce a small amount of weight.

Heat transfer from the bowl to the frame was a problem on early productions and we have now (for some time already) changed to have the cut-out between bowl (mica band heater) and main frame, reducing the amount of energy moving away from the bowl. Tests with non-conductive material did not go to well mostly because of the heat that gets generated at the bowl. Wood deformed and charcoled , 3D printed materials did not stand-up to the bending and stress tests and it seems my initial construction still works great.

BTW, I have one unit running steady in my garage on the test table since spring of last year with a counter and the PID controller has cycled 45,000 times by now without missing a beat.

Cheers,

JoergK.
    Last edited by Biermann; 02-18-2020 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Additions on eBay & destinations

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast