Welch's frozen concentrate grape juice discontinued
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Welch's frozen concentrate grape juice discontinued

Couldnt find it anywhere finally made some calls and had a big grocery store order it went to pick it up along with are regular order and they said it has been discontinued !! Anybody know where i can get it

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Welch's frozen concentrate grape juice discontinued

Even the non-frozen concentrate in soda style cans is out of stock. Weird. Looks like the regular strength 100% grape juice in a jar is still available. How many quarts to make five gallons of wine?
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Yeah , would you need 5gals. of juice or 20 qts ?

Google “grape juice concentrate”.

I tried Googling specifically for Welch's frozen grape juice concentrate and only got two hits, both sold out.

I found my sweet wine recipe from 45 years ago. 1-12 oz can of concentrate, 4 cups of sugar, 1 tsp wine yeast, (I used bread yeast back in the day and it worked fine), and then water to fill a one gallon jug.
    Since a can made 48 fl. oz., I guess 5 of the 48oz jars would do the trick for a 5 gallon batch. 28 days and siphon into secondary, 7 days later bottle or drink up.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

We used to make a crude wine with some brand of bottled juice and then suddenly it quit working. I think they started putting a fermentation inhibitor in it. That was some 50 years ago so cant remember the brand. Is there a difference between the frozen concentrate and the bottled reconstituted product?
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by crofter View Post
    We used to make a crude wine with some brand of bottled juice and then suddenly it quit working. I think they started putting a fermentation inhibitor in it. That was some 50 years ago so cant remember the brand. Is there a difference between the frozen concentrate and the bottled reconstituted product?
    Here's a link to preservative-free juice concentrates. I believe they are also available on Amazon.

https://www.brownwoodacres.com/fruit...-concentrates/

I see the brown wood acres juice is flash pasteurized could this be a problem , I know of someone that tried to make hard cider with store bought pasteurized cider and it didnt work , or would the real welchs regular juice be a better bet

I think the key is to look at the ingredients. Pasturization should not cause a problem but any sulfites would. I am going to check out the offerings at my local Wallyworld this weekend.

JW did you find anything at wally world , I see the welchs 100 % pure grape juice has sulfites in it

Is there any method of squelching the sulphite fermentation inhibitors?
    Frank

Laketrout, I ended up working this weekend and did not get by Wallyworld. Soon though.

As far as getting rid of the sulfites, both sodium and potassium metabisulfite are used to remove chlorine. Perhaps a small amount of bleach would remove the sulfites, and then the bleach can be destroyed by heating. Just a WAG but it might be worth a try. Anyone out there have a degree in chemistry?

So if we want Wine , as it seems the goal. Why not use Grapes? No juice today is chem free
    Just sayin, I have made wine in my youth, never with Juice, I used crushed grapes. Could give that a try.
    GG

Making a simple wine with those concentrates used to be a very simple operation. Not the most sophisticated wine perhaps, but I was not a very discerning consumer then either.

I have looked in on the process where you start with a case of grapes; believe me, it is a lot more involved, with more avenues for things to go bad.
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by crofter View Post
    Making a simple wine with those concentrates used to be a very simple operation. Not the most sophisticated wine perhaps, but I was not a very discerning consumer then either.

I have looked in on the process where you start with a case of grapes; believe me, it is a lot more involved, with more avenues for things to go bad.
    Understood
    good luck finding the grape Juice Concentrate then.
    GG

Hey one more idea, My buddy makes wine and he goes to a "brewing Store" they have "Kits" starter culture, and such. Same deal he likes to make it and wants a consistent product. Maybe google "wine making kits" I see Woodys has a few https://woodyshomebrew.com/collectio...g-starter-kits Maybe have it in time for the Holidays to brew it up on your time off
    GG

My home brew store sells many varieties of wine making kits that include the juice, yeast, and nutrients if needed. Not that inexpensive if one wishes to make 5 gallons at a time. The Welch's made a drinkable wine for pennies a glass. But, one must work with what is available.

My Giant food store does have there own label of frozen concentrated grape juice I'm waiting to check the label and see if it contains sulfites but i would think it would be very similar to the welch's brand but the private is alot cheaper hopefully thats just paying for the name and not something else like a different grape

Warm it up and throw in a bit of yeast and see if it ferments. That will tell the important tale.
    Frank

are you suggesting just a little bit of juice and yeast in a small glass as a test

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast