Against Smoking Bees - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Against Smoking Bees

Quote Originally Posted by cervus View Post
    I see your snark scope is still sighted-in...amazing. Is that a NJ thing?
    Realists are a dying breed, I see.
    As far as a NJ thing? (can't believe you are going there, but...)
    You'll have to ask someone from NJ if there are many realists there, I've only been there a half dozen times in my life and
    that was mostly to pass through to some where else.

C'est la vie.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by MarkSaratoga View Post
    Ryan,

For extra credit either add what the bee owns or get rid of the apostrophe in bee's.

A pedant

I don't think they mark down their grades for that sort of thing any more, except in English class, maybe.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanwilliamson121 View Post
    This is a class assignment that I made discussing why we should ban the use of smoke on bees.

https://ryanwilliamson121.wixsite.com/bees
    Wow, Ryan, you have really brought out the responses. I keep bees without smoking them and I really don't see how smoking them would do them any good. I do smoke myself when I am around them to keep them off of me which I hope doesn't hurt them.

I don't now how old you are and my grade for your assignment would have to be based partly on that. You do not argue for actually banning the smoking of bees in the assignment so most of the boo birds on here probably haven't looked at it. For the most part I agree with what you say but the writing could be better, Keep at it and you will improve. I used to be a writing teacher.

As for the boo birds on here, perhaps they don't know that the guy who invented the hives they use would certainly agree with everything your assignment says about smoking bees and then some. Lorenzo Langstroth was his name and I would certainly like to hear the ones abusing you on here debate the topic with him. That would be something.

This is a class assignment that I made discussing why we should ban the use of smoke on bees.

Honestly ! --- I will say do what you want --- Leave me alone ! -- But WOW !

Quote Originally Posted by Murdock View Post
    I sometimes use MEADOW MUFFINS (dried cow turd) for smoker fuel... does that make my smoke organic? There is NO way you can assure bees have not visited flowers that have never had pesticide on them so you cannot PROVE organic honey exists. If you use enough smoke that neighbors call the fire department then you may mask odors enough that the bees are a little confused but that goes away pretty quickly. Bees orient to the hive entrance so they do not get lost.
    Cow turd, cow pattie or cow pie. Horse turd, meadow muffin.

I stand corrected! I really don't know what dropped it but it works pretty well. The word ORGANIC drives me crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by roddo27846 View Post
    Wow, Ryan, ...I keep bees without smoking them and I really don't see how smoking them would do them any good.
    Do you think that just maybe, you can't see because you haven't tried it? You are expressing an opinion with no foundation.

Others wrote that smoke calmed the bees and the 'good' was that fewer bees died from stinging the beek, and fewer bees died when the hives were re-assembled. That translates to smoke being 'good' for the colony and 'good' for the beek. To claim otherwise requires that you ignore centuries of lore and innumerable scientific and anecdotal treatises.

Quote Originally Posted by roddo27846 View Post
    As for the boo birds on here, perhaps they don't know that the guy who invented the hives they use would certainly agree with everything your assignment says about smoking bees and then some. Lorenzo Langstroth was his name and I would certainly like to hear the ones abusing you on here debate the topic with him. That would be something.
    And now you are making claims with no foundation...

Lorenzo Langstroth would definitely NOT agree because he was NOT opposed to smoking bees. He liked sugar water and he used smoke, but was judicious in the kind of smoke.

On p29 of the Hive and the Honeybee Bee Keeper's Manual Langstroth warned against using tobacco smoke: "Apiarians have, for many years, employed the smoke of tobacco for subduing their bees. It deprives them, at once, of all dispositions to sting, but it ought never to be used for such a purpose. If the construction of the hives will not permit the bees to be sprinkled with sugar water, the smoke of burning paper or rags will answer every purpose, and the bees will not be likely to resent it; whereas when they recover from the effect of the tobacco, they not unfrequently remember, and in no very gentle way, the operator who administered the nauseous dose."

Langstroth only makes positive references to smoke, as on p200 where he wrote that the beekeeper "will find that unless he uses smoke, the bees will be almost, if not quite unmanageable."

I challenge you to find anywhere in the 384 pages of the Bee Keeper's Manual that Lorenzo Langstroth bad mouths the use of smoke.

Who is the boo bird here?

Hi Ryan,

Methinks you wrote to Bee Source to get a rise out of beekeepers..., and you succeeded.

You have a future writing for the National Enquirer: Verity is not a requirement, inflammatory and distorted facts sells newspapers.

PHOTO Caption: "Beekeepers use these devices to smoke the bees to collect honey. But these smokers are actually very destructive to a bees hormone sensors and taints the honey being made."

#1) bees do not have hormone sensors, they react to pheromones
    #2) destructive is inflammatory and untrue, the source says 'interferes'

a) https://www.beeculture.com/harvesting-honey/

"If you smoke the full super too much, the honey will taste of smoke (antidotal experience)"

To be pedantic, it should be anecdotal. Capped combs are protected by a layer of wax, so no smoke enters. If you are heavily smoking uncapped combs then you are doing two things wrong 'smoking too much' and removing uncapped comb.

b) https://savannahbee.com/blog/what-is-a-bee-smoker

"...smoke interferes with the honey bees signal reception system."

"I will never go without my trusted friend the smoker again."

c) https://honestbeekeeper.com/522/calm...without-smoke/

Nothing here badmouths smoking, it talks about ways to reduce the use of smoking.

PHOTO caption: "These are what beekeepers use to hold the bees safely. The bees leave the hive to collect pollen and return to make honey. These manufactured hives don't contain as many bees as a hive you would find in nature."

None of the above sources said anything like "manufactured hives don't contain as many bees as a hive you would find in nature".

ABOUT: "make sure it is organic because that ensures that the bees have never been smoked and the honey has been collected in the safest way possible for the bees."

Organic has nothing to do with smoking or the safest way possible.

I don't know that congratulations are in order, but you certainly pulled many legs...

What are you going to send Bee Source on April 1?

It is six days since you posted, are you ever going to respond to any of the previous commenters or are you merely reading in glee?

I suspect, since Ryan has made exactly 1 post to date, that he didn't stick around to read all of our replies.

More likely, he took our general disdain for his not very sophisticated research as confirmation we are all "bad" beekeepers,

From his writing, he is probably not older than 12 or 14, I would think.

Click bait. Happens around here when things are getting quiet and ad revenues drop.
    Mistakes are the best taechers

EDIT
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 12-22-2019 at 02:21 AM. Reason: wrong thread
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

Quote Originally Posted by JaiPea View Post
    On p29 of the Hive and the Honeybee Bee Keeper's Manual Langstroth warned against using tobacco smoke: "Apiarians have, for many years, employed the smoke of tobacco for subduing their bees. It deprives them, at once, of all dispositions to sting, but it ought never to be used for such a purpose. If the construction of the hives will not permit the bees to be sprinkled with sugar water, the smoke of burning paper or rags will answer every purpose, and the bees will not be likely to resent it; whereas when they recover from the effect of the tobacco, they not unfrequently remember, and in no very gentle way, the operator who administered the nauseous dose."
    I sometimes use tobacco leaves in the smoker, without any evident trouble. I have read that the nicotine can harm bees, but in the small dose of a smoker it doesn't appear to.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123