Jumpsuit and jacket for ocassional use?

Default Jumpsuit and jacket for ocassional use?

Good day,

This is James, Happy Holidays to all of you. I want to buy two bee suits (one jacket and one full suit - jacket and pant) for my landscapers who visit my family's small Apiary in the Houston, TX area.

These would be for occasional use, when the landscapers are working in the area. Good ventilation is helpful, but I prefer to spend a bit less than the Ultra Breeze Bee suits which I believe run ~$250 for the jumpsuit and ~$150 for the ultra breeze jacket with hood.

I am hoping to spend about 50% of these prices.

Thank you for your suggestions

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Jumpsuit and jacket for ocassional use?

You might want to consider looking at the Lyson suit and jacket. They’re within your price preferences and are quality, functional kit. Betterbee sells them.

Not sure what size you're looking for but I have 2 new jackets size 3X. If interested email me at [email protected] for details.

These are cheap and easy to use.
    Have them bring their own long sleved shirt or get a couple of Tyvec suits.

https://www.mannlakeltd.com/beekeepi...-with-hood-m-l

probably doesn't help you at all, but I never understood the need for a jumpsuit.....jacket/veil, yes...but loose jeans are all you need...worked commercial all summer with 2400 hives and remember getting stung only a couple times when sweat made my pants cling too tight...other than that...never had an issue. you will also stay cooler.
    Help is here to never misplace that hive tool again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvwlSiOzgOU

A former landscaper here.
    Forget the jumpsuit (full-suit).

A landscaper must be able to move freely (kneel/bend/squat).
    A loose jacket with loose pants/jeans - the best combo.
    All my jackets are $30 tops; not paying more; not necessary either.

PS: as a landscaper in winter, I don't mind a full-suit t then (VERY well insulated at that - a different priority in winter);
    but winter and the bees don't overlap - a non-issue.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

I could be reading more into this than I should, but it sounds like maybe your landscapers are not as comfortable around bees as most of us are and your goal is to allow them the freedom to work close to the hives without the fear of being stung.

If that's the case my first choice for them would be one of the full ventilated suits. For occasional use you can pick them up for a fraction of the cost of Ultra Breeze. Not the same quality, but functional, and most are pretty much sting proof. Google " ventilated bee suits" and you will find a variety to choose from in your target price range.

I've found that on very hot days in mid summer if I'm wearing jeans with a jacket it can be just as hot as wearing a full ventilated suit - if wearing just a t-shirt and shorts underneath. Sometimes the ventilated suit is actually better because it breathes a little if you are moving around. Jeans don't breath and can get hot and sweaty pretty quickly out in the blistering heat.
    To everything there is a season....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gillmore View Post
    ....... Jeans don't breath and can get hot and sweaty pretty quickly out in the blistering heat.
    When you are in landscaping (just as in construction) - safety trumps the sweat.
    Tough jeans are about safety of your legs, while still allowing the work.
    Steal toed boots are hot too - but their safety trumps the flip-flops.

Of course some landscapers will show up in flip-flops and shorts - unwise to hire such folks.
    What is wise - you dress properly and you start your work at 5am (and done by 2-3pm when the real heat strikes).
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.