Motorizing an extractor

Default Motorizing an extractor

Good evening gang.
    Trying to retrofit my extractor to motor drive.
    Anyone tried to use an ice cream maker motor? Any suggestions welcome.
    I did read somewhere that ceiling fan motors don’t have enough power.
    Thanks,Mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Motorizing an extractor

I am not sure if an ice cream maker motor would be fast enough, and it doesn't have any speed control.

I have heard of people finding old treadmills (on craigslist, ect) and using the motors and motor controllers out of these. Most treadmills are variable speed, and the motor is big enough to work so you get both a speed controller and a working motor. If you do this just be careful because the treadmill and the control module may be running at 90VDC or 120VAC

I used a treadmill motor & controls. Takes a lot of rigging but worked good.

I used to use a variac rig for lots of different projects. The incoming household juice was 115VAC 60 Hz, it went through fuse receptacles to a lighted rocker switch, then to an isolation transformer, then on to a variable AC transformer. The output was a l - type electrical socket (as was the plug on the hot wire bow for which it was originally intended), but I eventually rigged in a standard socket as well in order to use it for all kinds of projects. Oh, yes I did eventually make a separate ground wire to an earth grounding rod.

These were all mounted into a 4 inch square tube of aluminum about 12 inches long, and a wooden base was added.

I made a lot of R/C aircraft wings, tails, elevators, drama set props, and other stuff with that hot wire. I even slowed down a vacuum for catching bees with it!

I do not doubt for a minute that this rig would control an electric motor very nicely for honey extraction, just not automatically accelerated - you'd have to turn the dial up a little bit every minute as you went. Now today it would be easier, especially if there is still a Radio Shack store still around. A small circuit board with a RISC processor and an output set could do the trick and you just program it, load it and hit the button, then go load the other extractor while it slowly accelerates for about 15 minutes. I have not done that yet, but now that you mention it...I may indeed go do exactly that, make up an extractor with a variac control. As it stands, I'm currently working in a machine shop and could rig an extractor up to a CNC mill and accelerate it like that. Programmable RPM speed is no problem on a Haas mill, and that would be no variac rig needed.

I would never put actual frames of honey in a home-built extractor until I had tested it out and gotten the acceleration just exactly dialed in using dummy weights the shape of honey frames.

I drilled and tapped the end of my extractor. I use a cordless drill to turn the shaft. Way too easy. If your interested I can go into more detail of how to get it perfectly centered.
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

I used mortar mixer on vertical shaft!

Hello Mike,

I build an extractor in 2015, https://www.beesource.com/forums/sho...oney-Extractor

This think has extracted now for five years and has not seen any repairs. The motor is a 300 rpm gear motor from eBay i seem to remember. It runs on a speed regulator made for routers.

What I have added: swivel caster wheels - this took all the imbalance out on startup. I run for a minute on low rpm and then increase the speed to full and my frames are dry once I stop. Since I have time, i often run it for 15-20 minutes.

What would I do different - use a three phase motor with programmable frequency drive. Then on can automatize the process and can go over the 60 Hz if needed.

The mortar mixer is a good idea, try to get one with several different speeds and speed adjust.
    Summ Summ Bienchen summ herum