Need Bees to move along
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need Bees to move along

Help please. Two days ago a swarm of bees (aprox 2'x2') decided to make a pit stop on my house under the eves. They are not going into the wall but simply on the outside of the house. I love bees and don't want to call an exterminator, but live bee removal is $150. Is there any way I can make them "move along"? Could I (from a distance) spray them with a hose to inconvenience and discourage them? How can I make them find another home? I live in So. California, and the day they arrived was sunny and nice. Today is overcast and rainy. Any chance they are just taking a break before moving on?
    Here is a picture of my uninvited guests. The group is half the size of last night as they are out pollinating my trees and plants.
    My Bee guests.jpg
    Last edited by Stevewallace; 12-07-2019 at 03:01 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Need Bees to move along

Have you gone to the bee removal list in the bar above? Might find a more willing keep.

They may move on but the longer they stay the less likely. Are you seeing any pollen coming back? If so, they are yours
    It is not true that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.
    They can learn them, they just can't do them.

Hi Steve your attachment would not show.

However normally when bees are clustered on the outside of a house, it is because there is a small hole allowing access to an interior cavity and the bees have got inside, if they do not all fit, some cluster on the outside.

There are only 2 options, a removal by an experienced person, or kill them. The cost of $150 is because a removal can entail quite abit of work, and possibly damage to your house. Usually some exterior cladding has to be cut away to get access to the bees, and how well this is re-assembled afterwards depends on the skill of the operator.

My frank opinion is just go ahead and kill them. This needs to be done ASAP because they will start storing honey, and honey inside the wall can lead to problems down the track once it starts absorbing water and dripping.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

I would probably rather pay the money than kill them. It's not their fault and they are just doing their job. Would spraying them down with water work?

My Bee guests.jpg
    Last edited by JWPalmer; 12-07-2019 at 04:10 PM.

If the main body of them is inside, spraying with water will not work.

However it will cost you nothing to try.

Here is a link to a video of a fairly typical live removal

https://www.beesource.com/forums/sho...during-removal

Thank you for taking the time to reply. If they don't move along by Monday I'll pay to have them removed. I would love to have a bee hive on my property (one acre) but I don't have the time to devote to caring for them properly.
    One last question. Will spraying them down with water hurt or kill them? It's a 2 story house so the fall is 20ft.

Seems to be a nice small sized swarm. I am not familiar with the temps in SoCal, but if winter stays above 60, I don't see why a local beek would not come get them for free.

You might talk to that same beek about establishing an outyard on your property.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Default Re: Help. Need my Bees to move on

Find the local beekeeper's association/club for your area and see if they have a removal list...many times, existing beekeepers will cheerfully help with something like this, especially since there's no cut-out required. They get the bees, of course...
    Humble assistant to beek Alison as well as family purveyor of luxury Bee condominiums and Paparazzi activities...

Your attachment shows now. It was waiting approval as it is your first post.

Looks like a swarm cluster to me, not yet a beard, now that the photo shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevewallace View Post
    . The group is half the size of last night as they are out pollinating my trees and plants.
    Attachment 52779
    Not a good sign for leaving. Hit them with the hose and let us know what you see. Will be a hole or drawn comb.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevewallace View Post
    One last question. Will spraying them down with water hurt or kill them? It's a 2 story house so the fall is 20ft.
    The fall will not kill them, but the water drenching may or may not kill them, depending if temperature, weather etc, allow them to dry themselves off afterwards.

If you do not want to throw your town out there you can PM it and I will look for a removal member if you have not gone that route.

Update. Thank you all for the help. I contacted a Beekeeper and he will come by to remove them. Cost will depend on if they are in the wall. He will also look at my property (one acre with lots of trees and plants) to see if he would like to put a few hives out here. I am open to giving him another place to have bees as I know my trees and plants will reap the benefit. And once they produce I will get a little bit of free honey. Win win.

That's good news.

Now we are all interested you must update in due course so we know how this turned out.

I am interested in how this all turns out as well. Who knows, after seeing the in and outs of beekeeping, you may decide that it is way cool and find the time to become a beekeeper yourself!
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Surely someone would remove that one for free!

I don't recommend hitting them with the hose, that would do them in as a colony.
    So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith.

Quote Originally Posted by bushpilot View Post
    Surely someone would remove that one for free!

I don't recommend hitting them with the hose, that would do them in as a colony.
    If they are inside already the hose will not kill the colony.
    If the choice is $150 or the hose, on a warm day, it would be the hose.
    But on the companion thread the question is moot; a removal.

Hey all, I merged the two threads and deleted the duplicate opening post. Should have done this last night but, oh well.

Latest update. First thank you everyone for the advice and help. I went ahead and tried the hose to see if they would move along as I am not running a Bee&Bee. Now apparently I have created a family squabble with the bees, as half of them are now living in one of my bushes and the other half are back up in the eves. Definitely no access to inside the wall as the are grouping higher than before. Looking forward to seeing the Beek on Wednesday to see if he wants to use my property for a few hives. My only concern is that I do have a family of Raccoons that live out here as well as a coyote that passes through. Would not want them damaging the hive.
    JWParmer, I would enjoy being a Beekeeper but don't have the time currently. If he decides to put the hive on my property I would love to be there when he tends to them, and learn. Seems like a nice guy that would be open to that.

If you have a cardboard box you probably can shake that bush and have them march in. My money is the queen is on the bush.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast