Dadant two piece heated bottling tank

Default Dadant two piece heated bottling tank

Does anyone have any recommendations for fixing a tank I was given? It has a Dadant sticker. It is two separate tanks. The inner tank is removable and sits on little feet tabs that I think are part of the outer tank. The honey drain pipe connects to both the inner tank and outer tank with compression fittings with gaskets. I think both of these have been modified with homemade fittings. Do we think parts are available? I left a voicemail at a number I had for Dadant Metal Manufacturing.

All of my opinions and suggestions are based on my five decades of actual beekeeping,
    not so much on book learning, watching YouTube videos nor reading internet sites.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Dadant two piece heated bottling tank

I think I need banjo bulkhead fittings.
    All of my opinions and suggestions are based on my five decades of actual beekeeping,
    not so much on book learning, watching YouTube videos nor reading internet sites.

Hard to see what your problem is.
    First thing I would do is replace any galvanized fittings.

The problem is the two tanks are not welded together. The hot water between the tanks leaks into the honey. Whatever original waterproof fittings the tank came with are missing. I need to return it to original condition with the proper fittings. I will take more pictures and again attempt to get hold of Dadant technical support.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Grimshaw View Post
    Hard to see what your problem is.
    First thing I would do is replace any galvanized fittings.

What do the two rusty rods on the water level sightglass do?

They support the through fittings and keep them from moving which could break the sight glass or cause a leak.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Call Dadant Metal Shop 2178523324

If water is getting into your honey, you either have a crack, a pinhole in a bad weld, or the nipple has been turned, breaking the seal. My bet is that nipple since the valve is not straight down.

The outside nut seals the water from coming out around the pipe the honey comes out. I had a Kelley tank that started leaking there and ended up replacing it with a rubber boot, so don't panic if it breakers on removing it. Once the nut is off, you should be able to unscrew the pipe nipple out of the inside tank, put plenty of teflon tape on it, and reinstall.
    Hindsight is 20/10, not 20/20...
    After the fact, I always know what didn't work.

I have the exact same tank, purchased new in 1993. Dadant still makes this tank, with modifications to the water inlet and the cover. The new ones no longer have the opening to hold a bucket in place but I think everything else is still the same. The pipe extending from inside is 1" stainless and I don't recall how it connects to the inner tank. It's been a while since I've had mine apart. You are on the right track by contacting the Dadant metal shop...I'm sure they will be able to answer your questions and provide any parts if needed.

They used to come standard with a brass ball valve, as seen in your picture. Mine worked good but I eventually replaced it with a stainless self-closing valve. This is a nice bottling tank....congratulations!
    Like other high quality stainless equipment, this will last forever once repaired to fix the leak.

Edited to add: This is a good example of why I highly prefer top quality American made honey processing equipment. If you ever have an issue they are just a phone call away and carry replacement parts for
    everything they make.
    Last edited by SWM; 12-09-2019 at 10:38 AM.