Ants emptied one box

Default Ants emptied one box

When I checked on my boxes this morning a swarm of ants have crawled despite grease to the base and a water trap. The bee box is empty but luckily the bees are in a litchi tree nearby. Can I hive the bees in the same box? Anyone have better ideas to keep ants away.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Ants emptied one box

Well, if you already have a trap and still got that many ants, I’m not sure whether this would help, but

I made mine according to the idea by R_V (see the first post of this thread. https://www.beesource.com/forums/sho...cheap-and-easy). It has been working perfectly against ants here, which are probably much less robust than what you have.

I suppose it is fine to hive them in the same box but I have no experience with Asian honey bees.
    Zone 8, elevation 70 ft, North Seattle area.
    Bee plants and their pollen. https://chabol.wixsite.com/mysite

yep, if you can invert that blue thing in pic 3 and cover it with grease, that should work.
    Started April Fools Day 2017

Woodbridge, VA (But planning to move to NW Louisiana soon)

Quote Originally Posted by R_V View Post
    yep, if you can invert that blue thing in pic 3 and cover it with grease, that should work.
    Invert it, and smear the grease on the underside, where the grease is sheltered from the weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Greeny View Post
    Invert it, and smear the grease on the underside, where the grease is sheltered from the weather.
    Started April Fools Day 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Greeny View Post
    I did the same and transferred the Hive from the tree into the box but they were gone again this morning. I forgot to put the queen gate, my bad. Thanks for the suggestions though

In the future, if you have another hive, put a frame or two of brood in. It usually "locks" them into their hive. But it sounds like they were determined to leave. J

For the next hive on that stand, might try a couple of dog/cat flea collars around the bottom of the pole a few inches apart, works on my small fruit trees when crawlybugs get bad.
    “Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic”

I saw videos where a certain orchid (Cymbidium floribundum) was used as a swarm lure for Apis cerana japonica. They simply put a potted plant by empty hive boxes (this won’t work for Apis mellifera).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di7ONBg0Y-I
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsOSByKXf08

[QUOTE=Kuro;1769529]I saw videos where a certain orchid (Cymbidium floribundum) was used as a swarm lure for Apis cerana japonica. They simply put a potted plant by empty hive boxes (this won’t work for Apis mellifera).

Thank you for this information. Will try and source this orchid and let's see how it goes!
    Last edited by CoffeeCup; 12-08-2019 at 09:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fivej View Post
    In the future, if you have another hive, put a frame or two of brood in. It usually "locks" them into their hive. But it sounds like they were determined to leave. J
    Remember, CoffeeCup keeps the Ceranas.

Totally different beekeeping and we are not really in a position to suggest the Mellifera methods as if working for the Ceranas.
    May work; may not work; always to be remembered.

For sure, the Ceranas are notorious for absconding in the Russian Far East (few people do try to keep them).
    They will leave for any reason and for no reason (obvious to human reasons, anyway).

And on the topic - I doubt very much any of us here know much about the "Indian ants" and how to deal with them.
    May work, may not work; the context is to be kept in mind.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Probably right Greg, but I figured the OP needs help and thought that all bees probably have the same instinct to raise brood. Who knows? Who knows as far as the ants too, but some of the ant ideas may work there too. Would love to hear the Op's thoughts on this. J