6-framer - larger-scale, commercial grade, mobile operator
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 6-framer - larger-scale, commercial grade, mobile operator

Nothing but 6-frame boxes/medum-size frame (shallow Dadants, technically).
    (I guess, he still uses some deeps in the very bottom box - in that case they winter in a single Dadant 6-frame box + an empty super below optionally).

Another version of pure by-the-box approach.
    No frame-by-frame futzing about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-D8obDyxy24
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG4re3G2Y2c
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlKMDFnZ350

Full collection:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCm...E1x6qmQ/videos
    Last edited by GregV; 12-02-2019 at 11:29 AM.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: 6-framer - larger-scale, commercial grade, mobile operator

Greg;

I wish you could link us to a Russian~English voice to voice app! I mostly gathered from the fellows knitted brows that this method is really a headache! I think I missed a lot.

I would like to actually understand his explanation. That corner joint detail of the boxes and bottom boards is a neat arrangement.
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by crofter View Post
    Greg;

I wish you could link us to a Russian~English voice to voice app! I mostly gathered from the fellows knitted brows that this method is really a headache! I think I missed a lot.

I would like to actually understand his explanation. That corner joint detail of the boxes and bottom boards is a neat arrangement.
    Frank, I am not aware of the "Russian~English voice to voice app" (just not needed for me).
    I will give a quick Google.

this method is really a headache
    The more I observe the compact ways - the more I like it.
    Those who run the compact verticals have one simple response - just try it for yourself and be honest about it (and learn a little too) - THEN come back and comment.

The 6-framer way has one obvious benefit - standard frame reuse (as much as I like the square models - in theory).

The most important argument - here we are observing a real, volume honey producer, totally mobile - he runs totally from the trailers and does not "BS" around.
    He is always on the go to his next honey pasture.
    He is the "efficiency" and has very little tolerance for futzing about.

Most all problems of 10/12 frame equipment he does not understand because he does not have those problems.

I like the 6-frame config because the box amounts to 3-full size frames again.
    The same as my envisioned 9-frame config (which would amount to the same 3-full size frames per a box) BUT no need for a custom frame.

(I just watched another episode about - "how do you get the bees to come up onto the honey supers" - his response - what is the problem again? I don't have that problem - you stack the supers as needed and call it done and bees just get into them - the beauty of a compact vertical).
    Last edited by GregV; 12-02-2019 at 02:15 PM.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Greg;

..... That corner joint detail of the boxes and bottom boards is a neat arrangement.
    One of the standards anymore with the mobile beeks - the peg-hives.
    I got few ideas for me.

The channel owner takes apart a couple of his 6-framers (no preps/no setups - just as-is).
    He has not looked inside yet since the last year.

He is doing it because the channel subscribers asked for a demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXxKjSqDEbM

Another version of the same - 6-framers.
    Very cool ergonomic setup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFAIS1VWJqE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pph5TQiCCe8
    Last edited by GregV; 12-03-2019 at 12:38 AM.

True noney road-warriors based on 6-framers.
    Gypsy-beekeepers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrJgFHV-BvM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLQ6hRgM43o

Greg;

On the Youtube Video, click on the "CC" icon to turn on Close Captions (Subtitles). Then on the "Settings" icon go to: Subtitles -> Auto Translate -> English

Quote Originally Posted by MattDavey View Post
    On the Youtube Video, click on the "CC" icon to turn on Close Captions (Subtitles). Then on the "Settings" icon go to: Subtitles -> Auto Translate -> English
    Thanks, I will give that a try.
    Frank

game changer!!!!
    thank you so much

Thanks.
    I was not aware - will verify and see.

Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    Thanks.
    I was not aware - will verify and see.
    Checked - auto-translate is satisfactory, when in a pinch.

I'll try it out when watching some Spanish videos.

Just get used to the word "uterus".
    Computer is not smart enough to realize that the video is about beekeeping.

Uterus == Queen (in the beekeeping videos translated from Russian/Ukrainian).
    Матка - is the same word used as "uterus" or "bee queen", context dependent.

I dont know whether we in Canada get a different homepage for Youtube, but anyways I cant find the clickable landmark Matt describes. Can't get to square one.
    Frank

I have found some videos have it like this one
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLQ6hRgM43o

and outhers like this one don't
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFAIS1VWJqE

Late in on this thread, but must say that I'm well impressed when seeing HUGE numbers of 'nuc-sized' boxes on a flat-bed trailer which indicates to me that there's some serious honey-farming involved. So - cannot understand why there are reports of some beekeepers scoffing at the idea of using this size of box. If something works, then it works ...

Excellent info about the Russian auto-translate - HUGE THANKS - as it turns meaningless (to me) utterings into an overall guide-line of what the guy is talking about. A real game-changer. Pity it only works in real-time and not with saved videos, but heck - can't have everything.
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

I dont know whether we in Canada get a different homepage for Youtube, but anyways I cant find the clickable landmark Matt describes. Can't get to square one.
    It is on the bottom right of videos on the Desktop version of YouTube.

On the Mobile/Tablet version it is under the three vertical dots (settings) icon at the top right.

This is good timing. I was considering what size Nuc boxes I should standardize on. Have a six frame Nuc box from a friend I'm raising a queen for at the moment and I like it.

I'm also thinking you could have a 10 frame Brood box with 6 frame Supers. If put on one side you would have access to 3 frames in the Brood box without having to take apart the hive!

It is on the bottom right of videos on the Desktop version of YouTube.

On the Mobile/Tablet version it is under the three vertical dots (settings) icon at the top right.

!
    Thanks; found it now. Loses something in the translation but helps a lot!
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by little_john View Post
    ......So - cannot understand why there are reports of some beekeepers scoffing at the idea of using this size of box. If something works, then it works ...

LJ
    People can argue until blue (especially IF already invested heavily in something AND especially IF no hard evidence is really available, just anecdotes).
    BUT - seeing is believing.

This guy is a real deal.
    I highly recommend scanning through all of his vids (just for the context).

ALSO - the guy is really on a young side - I am just making the point I made before - experience is NOT everything.
    In fact, too much experience is often a liability (just the same as too much investment, only time investment).
    Last edited by GregV; 12-07-2019 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by little_john View Post
    Late in on this thread, but must say that I'm well impressed when seeing HUGE numbers of 'nuc-sized' boxes on a flat-bed trailer which indicates to me that there's some serious honey-farming involved. ........
    LJ
    The guy is a serious road warrior.
    His self-customized rig takes on 100 6-frame units (50 on each side).
    Each unit can go up to 12 boxes (before hitting the roof).
    It takes a heavy diesel truck to pull the setup (he is a heck of a driver too).

In addition, he lags along entire honey extracting shop and does everything on the go.
    Unsure yet, it maybe an additional vehicle is a part of his caravan.
    Pretty sure so because they must have some run-about vehicle.

I got pretty good context from his vids.
    The longest trip he did in the season 2019 - something over 1000 kilometers one way.
    Basically, there is this whole culture of mobile beekeepers that follow the flows around the region..

PS: while many of us do not approve of the mobile, commercial beekeeping for the related issues - this guys is brilliant in many ways, regardless;
    he needs to make his living somehow and that is what he does;
    he did talk in one of the vids how brutal his regiment is (lots of bees lost due to potentially very short stops).
    Last edited by GregV; 12-07-2019 at 10:38 AM.

Few short points about the guy - "пчеловод дальнобойщик".

He is based in a very mild region of Russia, Krasnodar region - about USDA Zone 7.
    (which allows for very light hive construction and wintering in them as-is).

He winters his bees directly on his mobile rigs - exactly as they are setup.

He winters them in a single box (on full Dadant frames);
    the bottom 1-2 boxes are on full-sized Dadant frames;
    one box in winter; 2 boxes in summer;
    he winters on any number of frames - up to 6 and down to 3 - to ensure good density;

He does not feed at all - the late flows brought into the reduced bottom boxes sets them up well.

He practices the QX going into the flows (not until then).
    The QX limits the queen to the 6 bottom frames - sufficient for the support through the summer - he does not need many bees (he says) - he needs a LOT of honey (not bees).
    The initial spring expansion is done only ONCE and downward (resulting in two brood boxes temporarily).

So yes - 6 full Dadant frames allocated for the brooding are sufficient to support the foraging force through the summer - which also ensures the too much resources are not wasted on brood raising.

He only practices the bottom entrance AND insists on this method (this is forcing all the traffic through the brood nest by design).
    The bottoms are meshed and well ventilated.
    The top is well insulated (about R10) and NOT ventilated.

Honey supers are continuously added to the top when they are 60-70% filled with the bees and the frames are reasonably full.
    No box switching is needed - bees just flood the supers as soon as the supers are added.
    No need to wait for honey to capped before adding more supers - this only means you are missing a portion of the crop.
    The supers must be continuously added to ensure that ALL nectar is taken in.

There is a stationary base at home too - for the support queens and backup units - for recovery reasons.
    (mating on this mobile rig is impossible - queens get lost due to confusion and mating almost always fails - he said so).
    Last edited by GregV; 12-07-2019 at 11:02 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast