Question about Varroa and EFB

Default Question about Varroa and EFB

I was reading an ABJ article last night from several months back where the writer stated that varroa had spread EFB to some hives he/she was inspecting.

Most literature I have read speaks of varroa serving as a vector of viruses. While I understand that you can make a logical conclusion that varroa could also spread bacterial diseases, is there scientific study that conclusively establishes that varroa, in fact, serves to vector bacteria infections too?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Question about Varroa and EFB

Considering the come back that EFB has made in recent years, I would say that's a valid question. My guess is yes.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

It certainly seems possible, but varroa and virus load also confuses bees' navigational ability leading to more drifting, besides robbing of weak hives, and generally weakened hives being more susceptible to anything. So direct transmission is not the only possibility.

It would be a nice study for some clever grad student.

Kanbar, G., and Engels, W. (2003). Ultrastructure and bacterial infection of wounds in honey bee (Apis mellifera) pupae punctured by Varroa mites. Parasitology Research 90: 349-354.