Making a wine recipe a little sweeter

Default Making a wine recipe a little sweeter

A question that always comes up when we make wine is does adding more sugar in the beginning make a sweeter wine or does it just make a higher alcohol content or both

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Making a wine recipe a little sweeter

Quote Originally Posted by laketrout View Post
    A question that always comes up when we make wine is does adding more sugar in the beginning make a sweeter wine or does it just make a higher alcohol content or both
    It depends. The alcohol produced is dependent on the sugar level, and on the yeast strain. If you use a yeast that has a high alcohol tolerance, it may ferment out any extra added sugar, resulting in a jigher ABV. If the sugar exceeds the alcohol tolerance of the yeast strain chosen, then the wine will be sweeter.

So, you choose your yeast based (in part) on the alcohol level you want, say 12%. Then you choose your SG (sugar) based on whether you want it to ferment dry or sweet.

There are online calculator to help you work it out.

BTW - I am new at this, but I believe my response is accurate.
    Last edited by bushpilot; 11-30-2019 at 09:10 PM. Reason: spelling and grammar
    So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith.

Default Re: Making a wine recipe a little sweeter

Thanks bushpilot now I understand why a previous post in another thread on this subject suggested changing the yeast to change sweetness instead of back sweetening