Getting my first batch

Default Getting my first batch

Hi All,

I am excited to get 6 bee boxes with colonies tomorrow night (Apis Cerana). The seller recommended not opening the boxes for a day or two since they have traveled from over 6 hours away and I give sugar water syrup 1:1. He also said placing them minimum 6 feet apart to prevent hive drifting and robbing. Friends can you give me other recommendations which will help me settle the bees in their new environment quickly.

thank you in advance,

CC

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Getting my first batch

Hi Coffee Cup

Almost none of us here work with A. Cerana, we work with A Mellifera, so may not be able to give good advice.

But the advice with A Mellifera would be do not block them in for a long time especially if they are in the sun, because the hives will get very hot and the bees could die. The bees should be allowed to settle for 2 or 3 days before feeding sugar because if sugar is fed while they are still confused they may get robbed. Putting at least 6 feet apart is a very good idea, it gives the beekeeper room to comfortably work the hives also.

It would be very interesting for us if you can, to show some photos of the hives. But don't worry if you cannot.

Do these A Cerana bees have problems with varroa mites?
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

I'd certainly keep those boxes in the shade, or even indoors if you have somewhere cool, until they're ready for open hiving.

The only person I know of who keeps Cerana is Khmer Beekeeping, who is based in Cambodia and who has uploaded lots of beekeeping videos to YouTube.
    A web search will take you to his YouTube page where there are playlists etc. If you click on 'about', you'll be taken to a page which lists his twitter and email addresses - and even his phone number, but I'm certainly not suggesting you phone him from India !

Good luck - sorry can't help more.
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

I am hoping that you will keep us updated and some photos. I have some interest in Apis cerana, and may get the chance to work with them in the future if I move back to Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by AR1 View Post
    I am hoping that you will keep us updated and some photos. I have some interest in Apis cerana, and may get the chance to work with them in the future if I move back to Japan.
    Attaching some pictures from this morning
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (25.8 KB, 44 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (20.3 KB, 41 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (26.3 KB, 42 views)

Do you add more boxes on top, or do the hives always stay that size?
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Do you add more boxes on top, or do the hives always stay that size?
    No we do not add more boxes. I was advised by the seller to inspect the hives every week and once all the frames were expanded then add the super chamber on top. I will update on the progress in this journey.

Personally I would consider adding the super chamber when the outside frames are occupied by the bees and not fully expanded. Our apis Mellifera will swarm if they get crowded and I assume Cerana will do the same.

It is your summer and our winter when we do not get to work with our bees. Any pictures especially of the interior of your colony would be deeply appreciated by us here in the cold. Thank you for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post

Do these A Cerana bees have problems with varroa mites?
    From what I understand, Apis Cerana are the very Asian honeybees that we got the Varroa Destructor mites from. But, the Asian bees have developed the ability to deal with the mites and are not threatened by them.

"A behavioral and physiological resistance mechanism of the Asian honey bee (Apis cerana) to an ectoparasitic mite, Varroa jacobsoni, which causes severe damage to the European honey bee (Apis mellifera) in the beekeeping industry worldwide, is reported here for the first time. Parasitism by the mite induced Asian worker bees to perform a series of cleaning behaviors that effectively removed the mites from the bodies of the adult host bees.

The mites were subsequently killed and removed from the bee hives in a few seconds to a few minutes. The grooming behavior consists of self-cleaning, grooming dance, nestmate cleaning, and group cleaning.
    Worker bees can also rapidly and effectively remove the mites from the brood. The European bee showed cleaning behavior at low frequency and generally failed to remove the mites from both the adult bees and the brood."

The above is from:
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...2220118790125X
    8 years, 30 colonies, no chemical treatments