inner cover

Thread: inner cover

Default inner cover

getting ready to make more inner covers and noticed my old ones have a 1/2'' of bee space between the cover and top of the frames , if I go for a top entrance 3/8'' hi and frames are 1/8'' down inside box you end up with a 1/2'' space , hasn't been a problem I dont get burr comb on top of the frames , any thoughts , maybe my entrance doesnt need to be 3/8'' hi
    Last edited by laketrout; 11-26-2019 at 05:38 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: inner cover

Maybe i didnt explain that the top entrance im talking about is the notch thats built into the rim on the inner cover

With the notch down(winter) that gives space for a pollen patty.On my inners,notch up only gives aprox 1/4 in

My inner covers have a 3/4" rim on one side and are flat on the other. Flat side down in summer reduces burr comb. 3/4 rim gives extra space for sub and/or fondant. Upper entrance notch is 3/8x1.5

I always wondered about flat covers and didn't think it would give bee's enough room to walk around on top of the frames , the frames on box's i make and mann lake box's are recessed only about 1/8'' or maybe a little more but it doesn't seem like enough room for bee's to walk around on top

In my opinion, bee space is at the top of the box...above the frames. The frame bottom bars are even with the bottom of the box

Yes the bee space at the top between the inner cover and the top of the frames a flat cover on mann lake box's and mine would only give the bee's a little over 1/8 '' space which doesnt seem like enough room .