Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Trouble w/double deep horizontal

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  GregB 
#1 ·
I never expected this as no one mentioned it as I was reading a lot leading up to switching from langs to long langs and then from LL to double deep long langs. The lower deep lang frames get propolized to the next frame and it's very hard to remove / inspect a hive this way. Anyone else had this problem and how do / did you work around it?

#2 ·
Sounds like the space between the top level and bottom level is less than bee space - so less than 3/8". Bees propolize gaps like that.

The bees will keep propolizing the frames together... unless you can change the dimensions of the hive. You can find a way to add height to your top box, just 1/8 or 1/4 inch - it is necessary to measure the current gap and be sure you're not adding too much space. If the space between levels is more than 3/8", the bees will build comb and put drone brood in there.

#3 ·
That's not it at all. It's the wide part of the side bars of the bottom frame are being propolized just like the upper frame. I am using zip ties and when I prise the top frame loose that doesn't break the bottom frame loose.i hope this makes sense.

#7 ·
I never expected this as no one mentioned it as I was reading a lot leading up to switching from langs to long langs and then from LL to double deep long langs. The lower deep lang frames get propolized to the next frame and it's very hard to remove / inspect a hive this way. Anyone else had this problem and how do / did you work around it?
Because your lower frames are (nearly) touching along their side-bars; all it is to it.
Prevent this from happening and the issue will go away.

In my case, the "bottom bars" will get glued together sometimes - the same issue (though easier to overcome than your case).
One reason I would rather not be zipping the frames together - this means some extra certain work (must shave off the "bottom bars").
Also one consideration I am reluctant to go with any bigger frames/equipment then I do already (imagine a triple-Lang zipped together - it will be too wobbly to my liking).

Well, I still end up zipping the frames (I now know how to do this correctly; but the older frames still in the rotation give me some grief - gradually fixing the issue):
Chair Furniture Stool Bar stool Table

#8 ·
The cutting the wide top part of the side bars down to match the narrow is about the only thing I have thought could be done. Too late on 4 hives full of bees until harvest next year and till then I will search for the longest hive tool and try to prise them loose.

#9 ·
The cutting the wide top part of the side bars down to match the narrow is about the only thing I have thought could be done. Too late on 4 hives full of bees until harvest next year and till then I will search for the longest hive tool and try to prise them loose.
Not a problem.
Google "long hive tool".
Tons of choices.
Black Friday is here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.