Low cost bee box construction - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Low cost bee box construction

Quote Originally Posted by HaplozygousNut View Post
    The Titebond III I have tried was better than the exterior grade liquid nail in holding up against moisture, but still would over a few months dissolve from being exposed to rain in our humid climate here in North Carolina.
    I doubt you are any more humid than we are here in Richmond, VA. I do like Frank and use rabbeted joints on the boxes I make, but like the tight fitting joints of a well made finger joint. The Titebond III has held up well on both types. I also use a small brush to spead the glue evenly on all contact surfaces. Of course, I give my boxes a coat of oil based primer followed by two coats of latex top coat. I just last week had to take an unglued finger joint apart and it was a real pain. The replacement piece I made got glued in.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I see that it is commonly thought otherwise, but as I have said before the finger joints seem to be a rather weak joint. I am gentle with the hives in order to not pull them apart. The Titebond III I have tried was better than the exterior grade liquid nail in holding up against moisture, but still would over a few months dissolve from being exposed to rain in our humid climate here in North Carolina.
    There's no way that Titebond III is "dissolving" in the weather. It's incredibly difficult to soften it even chemically once it's cured. The wood will pull apart before the adhesive will fail which can, however happen with excessive moisture getting to the wood. We'll have to agree to disagree about the strength of the finger joints. When properly constructed they are very hard to break.
    Humble assistant to beek Alison as well as family purveyor of luxury Bee condominiums and Paparazzi activities...

Jim_in_PA, have you tried leaving frames that were glued with Titebond III out in the rain to get soaking wet? I have and that glue did dissolve once the water got soaked into the wooden frames. This is extreme and does not happen when boxes are stacked vertically with a lid on top so that the rain gets shed before soaking into the wood.

Jim_in_PA, have you tried leaving frames that were glued with Titebond III out in the rain to get soaking wet? I have and that glue did dissolve once the water got soaked into the wooden frames. This is extreme and does not happen when boxes are stacked vertically with a lid on top so that the rain gets shed before soaking into the wood.
    No, I have not...I don't make frames. TB-III isn't supposed to be used in situations where something is immersed in water, however, so perhaps what you describe gets close to that kind of scenario., although I suspect that a lot of what you experienced may have been related to the wood being saturated, especially if it was pine that's often used for frames.
    Humble assistant to beek Alison as well as family purveyor of luxury Bee condominiums and Paparazzi activities...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12