Natural Selection Rambling - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Natural Selection Rambling

Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    Good plan.
    If my #1 makes it into the next year (fingers crossed) - will try to do the same.
    All she will be doing - making swarm QCs and pumping drones.

One BUT - using a 5-frame nuc for QC generator is a little too small I feel.
    40 litre unit is good.
    5 or 10, I don't know enough to know. My thought is that 5 frames is very tight and would encourage swarming a lot more. Also, 5 frames is small and tight and easy for the bees to control warmth. On the other hand, it might be too small to have the resources? It really depends on how many hives survive the winter and if I have enough hives to play with. If several hives survive, I'll try both.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Natural Selection Rambling

Quote Originally Posted by AR1 View Post
    5 or 10, I don't know enough to know. My thought is that 5 frames is very tight and would encourage swarming a lot more. Also, 5 frames is small and tight and easy for the bees to control warmth. On the other hand, it might be too small to have the resources? It really depends on how many hives survive the winter and if I have enough hives to play with. If several hives survive, I'll try both.
    40 litre volume has more flexibility built-in, so that you can run it as compressed 5-6 frames if desired OR expand to the max if needed.
    Yet you can pack many more bees onto a small number of frames and still keep them inside - a very good thing.
    Yet you have some spill over space so to reduce a chance to ACTUALLY loosing a swarm.
    As they explode in spring, the 40 litre volume is not much more to slow you down (in fact, for you and me and our terrible springs - we don't want them to jump out of the box too early).
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12