Help with Comb Honey - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Help with Comb Honey

Muenster - don't let your customers hear that.

Crazy Roland

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I think feeding honey is a common way to get bees to draw out nice comb sections. Is it frowned upon? Of course there was no syrup in the feeder...

Proverbs 16:24

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    I believe the Killians used a method that involved killing the queen, knocking them down to a single deep, and striking all but one cell.
    In 2009 I ran the Killian method in one good production yard. There's a bit more involved than removing the old queen. First the colony is reduced to one deep box with brood and queen and bees. Excess combs of brood and honey are given to other hives in the yard. Five (?) days later all the queen cells are removed. 5 (?) days later the cells are again removed. 5 (?) days later the colony is given a new queen. Supers are added as needed. Section supers need no excluder. Cut comb does. At the end of the flow the colonies are in one deep box and can be united. I think the extra work involved makes the method unworkable for me.

We now just add a super of cut comb foundation into the stack of supers. With a full super of honey under the cut comb super you don't need to use an excluder. One thing...only the strongest, most productive colonies should used for comb honey. Also the comb supers need to get on early in the flow...not the last super you add.

You can see my take on comb honey production at: https://youtu.be/nIjiInZRxrQ

One solution to keeping the queen from laying in your comb honey is to use the 7/11 surplus foundation from Kelley. If they still sell it...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Micheal Palmer - Yes, it is alot more work if you are not accustomed to that approach. If you currently run a single deep brood chamber, and excluders, it is an easy transition with the add effort of finding the queen, which is easier in a single deep.

Crazy Roland

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    In 2009 I ran the Killian method in one good production yard. There's a bit more involved than removing the old queen. First the colony is reduced to one deep box with brood and queen and bees. Excess combs of brood and honey are given to other hives in the yard. Five (?) days later all the queen cells are removed. 5 (?) days later the cells are again removed. 5 (?) days later the colony is given a new queen. Supers are added as needed. Section supers need no excluder. Cut comb does. At the end of the flow the colonies are in one deep box and can be united. I think the extra work involved makes the method unworkable for me.

We now just add a super of cut comb foundation into the stack of supers. With a full super of honey under the cut comb super you don't need to use an excluder. One thing...only the strongest, most productive colonies should used for comb honey. Also the comb supers need to get on early in the flow...not the last super you add.

You can see my take on comb honey production at: https://youtu.be/nIjiInZRxrQ
    MP, is there a premium of wet vs dry cappings for cut comb?

Quote Originally Posted by JRG13 View Post
    MP, is there a premium of wet vs dry cappings for cut comb?
    Not in sales or price, that I've seen. Matters in honey shows. More important is it's pretty, finished, well drained, not crystallized, etc. There are some pretty nasty looking comb honeys out there.

Killian's book is Called "Honey in the Comb" Great book on comb honey production. I think raising comb honey is less work than extracted. Gene Killian also had a video on their way of making comb honey.
    Bee a blessing to God and others.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12