OAV in the winter?

Default OAV in the winter?

What's the general consensus about OAV in the winter?

Temperatures will NOT get above 50F for the forseeable future. Is it still safe to use OAV on a clustered hive in 45F degree weather?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: OAV in the winter?

Yes, you can oav at 45 degrees. I believe some say the lower temperature limit is 37. I oav'd at 40 degrees last weekend...
    "The amazing thing about the honey bee is not that she works, but that she works for others." St. John Chrysostom

Winter OAVing seeks to accomplish two main things. When the hive is broodless (when all existing mites are exposed) AND when the bees are NOT in cluster (for better coverage of bees). For my area this seems to be sometime between Thanksgiving & Christmas...on a day with temps are above 40-45.

Yup 45F always worked for me. It is said that >37F is fine, but if you are using a classic wand-type vaporizer inserted from the bottom entrance and if the cluster is one box away from the bottom, you may not get a good result below 40F.

My bees seem to have a very short period without capped brood, so I always do multiple OAVs (usually 7 days apart) until mites stop dropping, typically 2 - 4 times, starting sometime in December (if weather does not cooperate, maybe early January).
    Zone 8, elevation 70 ft, near the north end of Lake Washington

Temperatures 37 and above is what BioVet (manufacturer of the Varrox) recommends.
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

I like 40s best myself. Doing treatments now in TN should have them close to broodless. I typically wait for a day or in the 40s in December. Waiting to get 40s after Jan is often too late as our bees will be cranking up on brood rearing late Jan. You could always hit them twice... We do
    Splitting a first year hive successfully https://youtu.be/ZfRTreQ-S9c

I had searched for awhile to find a basis for the 37F number. It seems to be rooted in a European statistical study that showed efficacy falling off cliff at 37F. Knowing my bees are still raising brood and my dead drop counts are low, single digits, I wait for winter solstice and then find some good sunny days, 2X, 14 days apart per Univ. of Sussex test report. It seems to work very well for me.

I LOVE OAVing in the winter. Don't have to get up at o'dark thirty to catch them in their hives. We usually have several days where it's above 37, when I can OAV in the winter.
    Some days it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.