Still too many mites - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Still too many mites

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    how expensive is it to keep buying bees?
    Cost of bees past 13 years = Zero. Cost of treatment = Zero!
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" Albert Einstein

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Yes, I read the directions and paid attention to what I was doing. Treated 4 hives, lost 4 hives. Never again...

Oh well. I have yet to lose a hive. Treated 12 this fall still have 12. Not one lost.

Thanks Tim. And for perspective, since your untreated hives must be sickly and unproductive, can you tell us what your average honey yield per hive was this year? (Or your per hive income if you prefer?)

So why have you not considered thermal therapy?

I used MAQS for the first time last year, in Sept, and my bees overwintered fine. This year I treated my now two hives again with MAQS and saw an insane number of mites drop after a full dose on each colony. I mean there were hundreds of notes on each sticky board (see attached). Now I’m scared the mite load may still be high. I haven’t had a chance to do a mite count so now as a precautionary measure I’m going to do OAV in the next few weeks. 😬😬😬

Quote Originally Posted by fadder View Post
    It is really odd to me some people rant about Formic pro and maqs and how bad their results were and others, myself included have no issues at all. Makes one wonder if people can read directions.
    Not pointing to anyone in particular, but I do think that it is critical to know the mite cycle and the bee cycle and to treat at the right time. This will differ by location of course. It is tricky in the northeast because you have to contend with high temps in the ideal treatment period before they make winter bees. The timing also leaves a lot of good weather and flying time just when hives in the area might be dwindling due to mites, allowing robbing of the infamous "Mite Bombs". While you might get a bad or expired batch, or someone doesn't follow the directions, I think the main reason for "failure" is that some people do not time the treatment correctly AND follow up after treatment to see if the mite population has gotten out of control before winter. I have only been doing this for 4 years now and in 2 of those years, I have had to follow up an effective MAQS or Formic treatment with OAV because the mite population had increased after the treatment beyond my treatment threshold. It happens. If you get complacent, you do so at your own risk. J

I treat mine in the spring and in the fall. I don't try to time the treatments. I treat when the temps are within recommended range. I see no reason why the bee cycle would affect treatment as it kills mites under the caps. That's just the way I do it and have had no problems this far......knock on wood. LOL.

I treat mine in the spring and in the fall. I don't try to time the treatments. I treat when the temps are within recommended range. I see no reason why the bee cycle would affect treatment as it kills mites under the caps. That's just the way I do it and have had no problems this far......knock on wood. LOL.
    You do realize that your "winter" would be considered a summer day by me. The joke around here is we had summer on a Monday this year.

As I said, timing of treatments depends on location. But the bee and mite cycles still matter where you are. If you see no reason why, read some Randy: scientiificbeekeeping.com

Randy is also the one who came up with Oxalic Acid and the shop towel, so I take his stuff with a grain of salt. I have read some of his research and I will stay with the Formic acid since it kills under the caps.

I just did my 2nd oav treatment the other day, another one due tomorrow. I may even do an inspection if the rain lets up as it’s still around 12C here in the daytime. My mite drop yesterday was close to 100 so there must have been a mite bomb or something after the Formic treatment in September.

Was it one hundred per day? It is not super-high, but continue treating until mite drop becomes near-zero. In our climates, where bees can collect ivy pollen until mid-late November, there might be capped brood in December (a few years ago, my ‘hygienic bees’ were still ditching fresh-looking pupae in mid December).

I usually see 20 -200 mites 2 days after my first winter-time OAV (usually mid December). In the year I failed in treatment (and lost one of three hives during winter), I was seeing 200 - 500 mites (2 days after OAV) throughout mid October to late November.
    Zone 8, elevation 70 ft, near the north end of Lake Washington

Thanks, I plan to treat through Dec. 1, that’ll cover just over 21 days which should be a full cycle. Bear in mind this is my 1st winter with my bees so I’m not really sure what to expect but it’s good to hear 100/day after treatment isn’t out of line. They are moving dead bees out with some pupae fairly regular. I fed about 6 gallons by the end of October and 1 more after I got back nov 9. If it wasn’t raining I’d pop in for a look at how the stores are. I’d really like to look at the brood boxes but not sure if it’s too cold or not. It’s definitely too wet right now.

Randy is also the one who came up with Oxalic Acid and the shop towel, so I take his stuff with a grain of salt. I have read some of his research and I will stay with the Formic acid since it kills under the caps.
    Randy Oliver is conducting ongoing experiments with OAV extended release" shop towels". Pray tell why you take his research with a grain of salt because of that. Most would say he is doing us a great service. J

I will continue OAV through out the winter here in south Arkansas.There are some here near me that I know dont treat and I sell them bees as they dont make it through the winter.Well add spring,summer and fall to that also so mite bombs keep showing up.We have lots of good days here during the winter for rob outs and to bring home hitchhiker mites.

He IS doing a great service. But is just research with no overall results yet. I mentioned the shop towell because it has not been approved. The timing of the brood cycle is important when using OA. I am just saying it doesn't come into play when using Formic Acid.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12