Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

A series of interviews from commercial beekeepers

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  d3veg 
#1 ·
Hey!! this is what it is like to work at a large operation that does everything from the honey production to the distribution :D

https://youtu.be/dL88GoNttgA

#2 ·
How do they all keep their cloths so clean AND work the bees? And no smoke coming from the clean smoker? And they are SOOOOOO strong they can lift a full deep up over their head. Hmmmmm.....Maybe these are the Phuny Beekeepers that make that Phuny Honey?

Crazy Roland

#3 ·
You don't often see videos of big operations with most workers in short sleeves or no shirt. Looks and sounds kinda cult like.

#7 ·
Hey! I actually work at this farm :D As for the short sleeves. Its a combination of things. We breed our own bees (video coming soon) and choose for hygiene, gentleness, and honey production. This company has been breeding for about 20 years or so. Also there is a certain mind set. If you are in a t-shirt, you will be more gentle when handling the bees. I often work in a tank-top and shorts for things like checking, and putting on boxes. If I bump or squash bees, I'll find out right away. We actually make fun of the "new people" in their gloves and coveralls. It also suck working next to somebody in full bee cover, because they are generally rougher and make the bees angry.

As for clean clothes... we wash them daily haha, and I shot this before people were super dirty at the end of the long day.

Regarding the deep honey supers. Yes they can weigh roughly 40 - 80lbs depending on the time of year. We do in fact throw them up that high. Its like doing a squat. Lower body. Do it wrong and you get hurt. Like yeah... imagine messing up a squat and dropping the bar :p The people carrying are typically pretty jacked. The smaller and older people blow the boxes on the stands, and one brave soul runs the trailer.

Regarding the price we won 1st place soft set honey at Apomondia 2019 :D
https://twitter.com/WendellEstate/status/1171818550723371008

There were Chinese subtitles because it was also on our Chinese website. We export to different parts of the world.

#8 ·
....40 - 80lbs depending on the time of year. We do in fact throw them up that high. Its like doing a squat. Lower body. Do it wrong and you get hurt. Like yeah... imagine messing up a squat and dropping the bar :p ....
Not my idea of beekeeping.
Too much bravado for NOT enough money (at least the footballers make millions).
I would review the company image/practices with this in mind.

My bad shoulder will remind me this for the rest of the life.
Loading trucks for living during the young years did not help.

PS: a XC runner/skier here; know few things/logged a lot of miles :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.