Hive in one hour

Default Hive in one hour

Here, my favorite!
    Making a temp hive from scraps in 1 hour.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMZLKVYiITI&t=9s
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Hive in one hour

Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    Here, my favorite!
    Making a temp hive from scraps in 1 hour.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMZLKVYiITI&t=9s
    looks a little "breasy" If I was going to use the nails , screws and my time, I would just use "newer" or rough sawn wood. Here in Michigan, the Amish have saw mills scattered round the country. Overall a good you tube. Another place I get lots of scraps from is a place here that sells Lawn mowers , they come in a crate and they lay behind the shop until they haul them away. I dreempt the other night I made a Hive out of an old freezer. HA BTW way for that kind of wood a trick one of my uncles used was to mix Wood glue with paint 1/2 and 1/2 as a filler and treatment to get some strength back into the wood. But as a temp hive works fine, Likely the bees would propolize it up a bit as well. May google portable saw mill for hire and see if some "scrap" can be had that way. I seen one guy making barn timbers like 6X6 once just carve the whole thing out in 4 cuts and some of the slabs were 3 inches thick. Or Google barn removal, should be some short stuff folks would part with. necessity is the mother of invention.
    GG

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Goose View Post
    looks a little "breasy" ......GG
    Should hold a swarm/split for a few summer months just fine.
    Even then, stuff some straw around the frames/old blanket and more straw on the top - should even winter just fine.
    For sure, no one will complain of the notorious ventilation.
    It really we maybe overthinking the entire thing too much over nothing.

Old barn wood may actually cost some good $$$.
    Depends:
    https://www.dcisalvage.com/

The stuff I pickup up all over is rather new and planed and cut to the standards.
    Almost wish I owned some old barn to take apart!
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    Should hold a swarm/split for a few summer months just fine.
    Even then, stuff some straw around the frames/old blanket and more straw on the top - should even winter just fine.
    For sure, no one will complain of the notorious ventilation.
    It really we maybe overthinking the entire thing too much over nothing.

Old barn wood may actually cost some good $$$.
    Depends:
    https://www.dcisalvage.com/

The stuff I pickup up all over is rather new and planed and cut to the standards.
    Almost wish I owned some old barn to take apart!
    Agree should hold a swarm, and then once primed should be a good trap. In the south likely no worries. could even use plywood scraps painted.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Goose View Post
    Agree should hold a swarm, and then once primed should be a good trap. In the south likely no worries. could even use plywood scraps painted.
    This exactly what a lot of commenters thought too (should make an excellent trap, once primed).
    If you have a live swarm in a taped cardboard box and have no hives handy - this is one way resolve the issue on hand.
    Gotta have that old fence though!